1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
242 Posts
They already have dropped quite a bit since the first of the year, at least in the western states.

JTMcC.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No not really they will not drop until CHINA stops gobbling it all up! :mad3:

·
Registered
94 Posts
They have dropped here in Washington a little. The big steel mill here is Nucor and they just sent out a fax saying they are doing away with the scrap surcharge. So that means the price will stay the same for now but I feel they will start to creap up with surcharge gone. The thing now is Uridium prices are going up which is driving the weldable reinforcing steel prices up. If it isn't one thing it's another.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
IMUZ ME said:
No not really they will not drop until CHINA stops gobbling it all up! :mad3:
I work at a very large steel distrabutor(sp?) and you are correct. There is so much demand for steel due to the large increase in this countries economic boom. They will drop a little but they are not going to come down a whole lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For sheet, expect a drop of at least few cents per hundred weight, taking place in the 30-60 day time frame. We've shortened up in anticipation.

For bar and shapes, if your not going to Maas, or the like in So Cal, you may not see anything. Tube Service is predicting flat on the 60+...

--ron

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I've noticed a drop. In december I was quoted $2.20 a foot in irvine for 1.75" HREW, I got it up in santa margarita for $2.00.

2 days ago my buddy picked up 260' of 1.75" for the new buggy, and he got it for 1.80 a foot in irvine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's all because of the Three Gorges Damn in China. That thing is going to consume steel for many years.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Well the went up through the roof so yes they will drop back some but will never go back to what they were just like gas. Now we see .20 less and thing what a deal but it is still .80 higher than a year or 2 ago. I think steel will be the same. We will see a drop of 15-20% and think that is a good price because we are now use to getting screwed!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Steel prices already have dropped close to 20% so far this year. Believe it or don't. Rolled shapes were around $510/ton in June, down from $$618/ton at the first of the year. That's a fact.

JTMcC.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It'll drop once China takes over as the their own supplier for steel. They're on their way.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
GRMhick said:
I've noticed a drop. In december I was quoted $2.20 a foot in irvine for 1.75" HREW, I got it up in santa margarita for $2.00.

2 days ago my buddy picked up 260' of 1.75" for the new buggy, and he got it for 1.80 a foot in irvine.
got a name/number for the shop where he got that price?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
the reason steel prices are high is TARIFFS against China for supplying steel to this market cheaper then our outdated inefficient mills can make it.
look it up.
there is no shortage of steel

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It's like the opposite of oil production. USA put a "windfall tax" on domestic oil producers. Suddenly, drilling here stopped being as cost effective as importing it.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I just got back from buying some seamed tubing

40' of 1" 11ga $29.33, 45.120lbs, $0.65lb
20' of 1.25" 13ga $13.46, 20.70lbs, $0.65lb
10' of 1.5" 12ga, $10.52, 16.190lbs, $0.65lb

Thats at Discount Steel in Minneapolis. Dunno what that info is worth, but it is something to compare to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts