Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they the same bearing wise just longer im narrowing up a toy axle and need a long shaft to cut down past the tapered part so they can be resplined and shortend up

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
im curious why you are narrowing a toyota axle...samurai or something

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Are they the same bearing wise just longer im narrowing up a toy axle and need a long shaft to cut down past the tapered part so they can be resplined and shortend up
You should search. And Why would you want to narrow an axle. What wms are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a datsun truck, i did search, i didnt find much on the shafts themselfs. found the third member info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i have now is a 84 axle and shafts and its in between what i need. Ive narrowed a housing so im at 53 1/2 wms to wms but the axles are right into the very beginning of the tapered spot (right before the splines) to where i cant cut and respline and i think the ifs axles will come up just a bit short too. so thats why im asking if tacoma shafts will physically fit besides being longer in a stock application are the bearings the same will the fit into the early hilux housing or ifs housing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok so searching on napa's websight they use the same bearing so thats promising now i wonder if the flange to Wheel mounting surface is the same as early hilux ifs rear axles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant adjust back space on the wheels they hit the frame its a datsun 521 tiny truck also wann build one for a 510 wagon the stock axles are tiny and parts are nla for them cant even get ring and pinion for them new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You do realize the shafts are a few inches longer on a taco than pre 85 right?
yes i need longer shafts so i can have them cut down past the tapered part and respline. The wheel bearings are the same, hopefully shafts are equal length, and flange to WMS are the same.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
The diameter of the shaft is smaller between the splines and bearings. If you cut it and spline it, it won't work in the third. If your narrowing 3/4 per side get a rim that has 3/4 more backspacing. I don't understand why your narrowing something that can be compensated by using the correct backspace:confused:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i cant adjust back space on the wheels they hit the frame its a datsun 521
that statement confuses me, if you can't run the correct backspacing your compinsating by cutting your axles? Then what? I don't see why you couldn't get a 79-85 axle and use the correct offset wheel? An inch is an inch, wether it's on the axle or backspacing..

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
i cant adjust back space on the wheels they hit the frame its a datsun 521 tiny truck also wann build one for a 510 wagon the stock axles are tiny and parts are nla for them cant even get ring and pinion for them new.
ummm its the same difference.... if you leave the axle width and have lots of backspace or narrow the axle with lots of offset. no matter what you are going to hit the frame....or am i missing something:confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The diameter of the shaft is smaller between the splines and bearings. If you cut it and spline it, it won't work in the third. If your narrowing 3/4 per side get a rim that has 3/4 more backspacing. I don't understand why your narrowing something that can be compensated by using the correct backspace:confused:
hummm they cut the splines and the taper off so its a straight shaft then re taper and respline makin it shorter but the same as stock. i dont like super + offset wheels id have to have a almost 40mm offset 6 lug wheel. my wheels now are -10 offset and about 250 each so narrowing a axle seemed like a better option its gonna be turbo charged and mainly setup for autoross.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
K I'll put it easier, it's not exact but splines diameter is 1.5" then it tapers down to 1.25" for the haft then where the bearing is it tapers up thicker again. If you cut the splines off the shaft will be too small to respline. Will it hurt anything to be 3/4" per side wider on your rig?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ummm its the same difference.... if you leave the axle width and have lots of backspace or narrow the axle with lots of offset. no matter what you are going to hit the frame....or am i missing something:confused:
Yea my bad, i wasnt thinking at the time my brain is kinda overloaded trying to find axle info. still see post above.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If your building it to race then get a ford 9" case solved... Dad had a nova with a 9" about 40wms..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my axles are splines, say 1.5 tapered down 1.25 then back to spline size 1.5 down to where the lock collar gets pressed on then they get bigger are tacoma shafts not like this??

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
id look at after market axle shafts (like trailgears or something) they might not neck down so you could probably respline it, but im just going off bad pictures ive seen.

there is a thread on here about narrowing an fj rear axle that uses stock short side axles or something from and fj (had an offset center) but i think he went with stock mini axle width, but it might be a useful thread

1 - 20 of 38 Posts