Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing a VW 1.9 turbo diesel conversion. I have spoken to Jeff at ACME and have a pretty good idea in what's involved.........but, I'm looking for some specific answes on what works and does not work with a 1.9 in a Tracker.

Here's the skinny........

My 1991 Tracker has 3" body and 2.5 susp. lift, is an auto and has pwersteering.

I have an AAZ 1.9 id TD *almost complete* except for a few items like valve cover, gear case cover, cam and crank pullys, and a few other items. Newly rebuilt / not yet run.

I'm shopping / scrounging for the other parts required and seek info on what others have sucessfully done in their Trackicks or, what has not worked.......

Radiator........
From what make / model / year will work in a Tracker? Is it desireable to have both upper and lower rad hoses come from the drivers side of the rad, or other? What is easiest to fab / plumb with the 1.9? Obviously, I'm looking for the largest that can easily fit..... Also I will want to run dual 10" fans.

Remote oil to air cooler........
I need to change out the OEM oil to water cooled cooler / filter as it interferes with the motor mounts, and want to go the way of the remote oil to ail cooler. What works? I know nothing of these things.......
How would a remote oil to air cooler mount to the block?? Is there a specific part available for this?

The last thought that I'm stuck on, is, how do I fab some vacume operated device to allow the auto trans to function [as it does with the OEM gas engine] with the 1.9 diesel? Anybody done this? Ideas?

I've researched what I've been able to and have come up empty handed with these topics.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The last thought that I'm stuck on, is, how do I fab some vacume operated device to allow the auto trans to function [as it does with the OEM gas engine] with the 1.9 diesel? Anybody done this? Ideas?
the only source is the vacuum pump on the engine, you may need to add a regulator if it provides too much vacuum at lower speeds.
I installed a 1.6TD in an automatic toyota pickup and I didnt like the way the auto shifted, the shift points didnt seem correct with a 'gas' transmission but I think I could have tweaked it to make it better. Also, I had a bad vibration when in drive and not moving. It shook so bad I couldnt put on my seatbelt because the lockup function would engage and I couldnt pull it out. I suspected my motor mounts as the major cause for that. Didnt feel like messing with it anymore so I am swapping in a 5-speed.
I dont know what your plans are with the tracker but the lack of an overdrive might hurt your top speed

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only source is the vacuum pump on the engine, you may need to add a regulator if it provides too much vacuum at lower speeds.
That's the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks for the reply.

.......where do I find a vacuum regualtor?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That's the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks for the reply.

.......where do I find a vacuum regualtor?
I am pretty sure the vacuum will be fine BUT if it is too much you will need to bleed a little off with like a small hole in the line. I dont think it will be a problem though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Radiator........
From what make / model / year will work in a Tracker? Is it desireable to have both upper and lower rad hoses come from the drivers side of the rad, or other? What is easiest to fab / plumb with the 1.9? Obviously, I'm looking for the largest that can easily fit..... Also I will want to run dual 10" fans.
I'm running the rad that acme supplies, 26" VW scirrocco with A/C, if memory serves. In and Out-let both on the driver side will likely make your life easiest. If not, you'll need to cross over the engine with one or the other, as both ports are on the the Driver side of the engine.

Remote oil to air cooler........
I need to change out the OEM oil to water cooled cooler / filter as it interferes with the motor mounts, and want to go the way of the remote oil to ail cooler. What works? I know nothing of these things.......
How would a remote oil to air cooler mount to the block?? Is there a specific part available for this?
I'm using an oil cooler from a mazda rx-7. Nice unit. Large, well laid out, and fairly easy to fit in front of the rad, at least it was in my samurai. A Kick should only have more room, I'd guess.

The cooler doesn't mount to the block, it mounts to the body, in front of the engine coolant/water radiator.

At the engine side of things, you'll need a remote filter re-locator...something like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TRD-1113&N=700+400158+301916+115&autoview=sku

Personally, I never liked those ones, and ended up going to a unit like this:

(can't find it now, I'll update if I find it later, but it's got side ports instead of vertical/down ports)

Double check, but I *believe* (it's been a while...) that you need the same thread size as a ford unit, which I think is 3/4x16, which makes them pretty easy to find.

Edit: this is the same style relocator I went with
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/318/Adapters_and_Other_Oil_System_Components
It is a very nicely made unit. I definitely found it worth the extra $$, but that's just me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.

All of that advice helps me figure out just what I need to do and what kinds of goodies I need to search for, to get this conversion done.

I guess I'll work on getting the engine into the Tracker first, and then see what room there is for a rad / fans.

Phil, you running a 1.6 or a 1.9? Did you get the exhaust pipe with flex pipe part from ACME? or?.........

I have the original exhaust pipe with flex pipe part, from the donor 1997 Passat the engine came from. I'm wondering if the exhaust pipe that Jeff from ACME is any different from what I've got, and if so, how is it diferent?

I want to run a 2.5" exhaust.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just emailed Jeff @ ACME and he informed me that the exhaust pipe that they provide is a custom made from manifold back, 2" pipe for the sammi.

If I were to order the same custom pipe for a Tracker but in 2.5" stock, it'll be about 1/3 extra in cost over the sammi version.

So it appears the oem 1.6 and 1.9 TD pipe and the ACME pipes are two [ or three ] different beasts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts