Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be a lot of pros and cons with a shackle reversal.
For those of you that have done it and run it for a while whats your opinion ?
Was it worth it ?
I see only one benifit...no shackle up front allows you to slide the spring up a rock, no shackle to invert and bend a spring on approach. Bigger tires and reversed springs seem to eliminate that problem, so why go thru all the trouble?

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
I've run it for a few months now with the full widths. I love the clearance up front. Mine rides way better too, but I gotta give credit to some other items that were changed at the same time, Shocks, 1 less leaf in the pack and a much better shackle angle.

Flex is about the same, maybe a little bit more. But it's hard to tell exactly because so many things have changed.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I think it is worth the trouble for the reasons you list.

I have never seen a bent front spring with a Shackle Reversal.

My approach angle is superior to those without a SR.

(this is for a flush mount SR, not the "kits" sold with the towers)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
:flipoff2:

(that's "two thumbs up" BTW....lol)

Yes, I like mine and would not change it back...no bent springs, no reversed shackles, better approach angles, etc...

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I love mine, had it that way since 98.
BTW I was talking to Drunk Monkey and he switched his back to the shackle in front, but he's a Drunk Monkey?????????
Butch

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
For a DD... better highway manner. Not sure if just me, but seems to track better.

Tom :usa:

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
I have used shackle reversals for almost 10 years now and would never go back. At first, I used an LCAH kit that was invented by my friend Ross Stewart. I was skeptical that it would improve the driving characteristics, so when I first put it on, I changed nothing else. The driving characteristics were clearly improved -- it tracked much better. I know others doubt this, but that is my experience.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i've always loved them...wish i had it on the 60...even with low mileage, upkept maintenance, and p/s, it still wanders all over the road.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
FJSRULE said:
it still wanders all over the road.
This is a pretty classic symptom of insufficient caster angle. Bigger tires can use a little more than the stock +1 degree, especially since you have PS.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I love Shackle Reversals..... :D

I think we have pumped out a few dozen in the past few years... not a single complaint... and one of my top five mods to my truck... :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Following this conversation it's clear to me that I should do SR on my 1981 BJ44. I just cannot decide for sure if I should do it.

I've done SPOA, it's got 35"MTs, x-over steering with Hy-Steer steering arms - power steering box (out of FJ80) is not bolted to a frame yet.

Mechnically speaking it's pretty much simple and staring forward for me but my conserns are:
1. I didn't have my front knuckles turned - is that an absolute procedure that has to be done? My spring perches are not welded in after SPOA - I can still move them. I am trying to keep stock front pinion angle.
2. If I do SR - would my front drive line anlge be critical? I got stock almost flat springs at the moment. If there will be more flex - I'd have to get some custom drivelines?
3. because of SR - would my front axle move up front? if so then I'd have to do SR first and then work on power steering box placement. Right?

Thanks,
Andrey:confused: :(

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Pin Head said:

This is a pretty classic symptom of insufficient caster angle. Bigger tires can use a little more than the stock +1 degree, especially since you have PS.
it was stock and it still wandered...but then, i'm pampered with my super tight steering 40

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
THats funny i reversed my coiles and nothing changed, what are you guys all talking about.

Ian-

Do it up don, the trails will be awaiting in about a month. If i finish my rig ill come help ya out.

Ian-

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I did a SR on my fj45, but before I did I rebuilt all the steering parts(tie rod ends, front end, ect ect) and a new OME suspension, about like it came from the factory when new. I then ran 33x9.5's WITHOUT a SR and it drove/tracked wonderfull.

Then a few weeks latter I went to 35x12.5 MTR's and it was all over the damn road...just plain spooky on the highway. So I did a SR, hit the road again and it drove/tracked wonderfull again....75mph and only on finger on the wheels, no worries at all.

Also my 82fj40, with 33x9.5 drive GREAT with the stock shackle setup but if I went to a 33x12.5 I bet I would be doing a shackle reversal.

So I think that if you stick to a skinny tire(like stock width, say 9.5) with the normal shackle set up then it will drive great. But when you go to a wider(12.5ish) tire then it a SR is a good idea.

If a 40/55 has power steering it "might" make the wander/tracking less of an issue...I dunno.

On a fj60/2 the steering setup is different then a 40/55 so I don't think there is a need to go SR for handling reasons.

John H

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
FX2 said:
Following this conversation it's clear to me that I should do SR on my 1981 BJ44. I just cannot decide for sure if I should do it.
Hi Andrey, finally arrived here as well ! :eek:)
Did you manage to get the BMW working eventually ?

As for your question, may I suggest to seach in this sections archive... I remember reading interesting info about this stuff not too far ago...

Anyway, my guess about #1&2 is : it would be best to -cut n turn the knuckles -rotate the pinion up pointing to the tcase -get a long slipyoke (possibly cv) driveline...

did you figure out the tube work yet ?

oh and :flipoff2: welcome :flipoff2:

Bye,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts