Taliban reportedly attacks convoy with American tourists in Afghanistan
Published August 04, 2016 FoxNews.com
Facebook569 Twitter171 livefyre93 Email Print
Taliban militants in western Afghanistan Thursday attacked a convoy carrying foreign tourists, including Americans, leaving at least six people injured, officials in the region told several news agencies.
The tourists were in a minibus on a rural highway in Herat Province when they were hit with rockets and gunfire, The Washington Post reported. None of the injuries was said to be life-threatening, and it was unclear whether the three Americans in the vehicle were hurt.
Officials were working to airlift the passengers, which also included six British citizens, two Scots and one German, the Post added.
The highway where the attack unfolded connects Herat, Afghanistan's third-largest city, to the mountainous Bamiyan Province, the site of an ancient Buddhist monastery.
Earlier this week, a group of militants, including a suicide truck bomber, targeted a Kabul guesthouse for foreign contractors, killing one policeman and wounding four, Afghan authorities said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for that attack.
The Interior Ministry said "terrorists" used a truck full of explosives to breach the perimeter wall of the Northgate Hotel around 1:30 a.m. Three gunmen then entered the premises and started shooting.
The ministry's deputy spokesman Najib Danish said the truck driver was killed when he detonated the explosives. The blast in the eastern part of the Afghan capital shook the city and was followed by widespread power outages. A Taliban statement said they had sent heavily armed operatives as part of the attack.
That attack followed a massive suicide bombing that struck a peaceful rally by Afghanistan's minority ethnic Hazara community on July 23 that killed more than 80 people and wounded hundreds. The Hazaras were rallying to call for a power project to be rerouted through their impoverished region in the central highlands when the suicide bomber hit.