Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any information on estimated reopening of BFE? A group of us from Texas are heading out there in October, would be a terrible shame if we cant wheel there. Thanks

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
facebook is pretty quiet on the topic. caught a rumor that they may be tied up in a legal dispute now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Local word is that the owner is planning on making it a corporate retreat. Next week there is an Earthroamer Owners rally, but no public access to BFE in sight.

The other item floating around is that the owner wants to close Strike Ravine. Apparently the RR4W group isn't going to fight it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that sure sucks. thanks for the local word, 'preciate it.

With Area BFE closed, does that make pritchett canyon the most difficult/techincal crawling in the area? We'll be there for four days, and would really like to get on the technical stuff as well as some easier and more scenic trails.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Coyote Canyon is near BFE you'll need a permit from the BLM to do it. Its only runnable fri and sat. Theres another new trail too but I cant remember the name. Theres a youtube video that shows it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Coyote Canyon is also limited to 7 rigs per day. As of 9/18 it is already reserved 10/5 and 10/20. Search for 'coyote canyon blm' (I can't add links yet).

The "Moab Friends For Wheelin'" (find on facebook) does frequent group rides, often the more difficult trails. Look for the 'MFFW Facebook Policy' post around the beginning of the month.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol! maybe sand hollow next year!

Thanks for the help, I think we're going to try and book Coyote Canyon for the 19th. Is it better/worse easier/harder than Rear Steer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There has been no apparent work done. The Red Rock 4 Wheelers have removed Strike Ravine (which crosses much of BFE) from this years EJS lineup and are planning to re-route it around BFE. Last I've heard, the BFE plan is still 'corporate retreat'. I would suggest forgetting about BFE and planning for other trails. The OP for this thread laid out a nice itinerary for his trip, but you have to be flexible as local conditions may cause trails to become impassible. For instance, we've had significantly higher snowfall this year as compared to last, so the White Rim trail will almost certainly flood by Taylor Canyon during the runoff (as it does most years).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts