Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I broke the Wire speed knob off my lincoln 180c... Turns out the pieces goes right into the control board and isn't setup if broken off to be fixed easily..

Luckily I still have warranty. But I am not sure if it will be covered I sure hope so I have to get the welder 3 hours away from here just to get them to even look at it:(

Hopefully Warranty will cover it. Only issue I see is that I tried to glue the piece back and a few other things... Hope they don't turn me down for warranty because of that? Anyone else broken one of these off? I have mine on the floor and must have stepped on it my accident, or moving stuff around the shop.

Maybe someone else has an idea how I can fix this?

Lincoln wants 425 bucks for the part... I really don't want to be out a welder for 2 weeks maybe more.. Rather just fix it myself and have it done.
:barf:

And I would have to pay shipping to there and back if I don't deliver it myself.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I really hate to rain on your parade .

But there is no way that could be anything but user damage.

The sad news is if you bought uber $$$$$ from Lincoln and were on real good terms with the lincoln rep. Did something stupid like hooked up a dedicated 230V unit to 460v they might be able to squeek it through.

All parts for warranty with all the major welder and plasma makers the bad parts get sent back to the factory most of the time. Just like any other thing the repair center is billed for the warranty parts till it is decided if it was a warranty claim or not.

Buy the board install it yourself . Were you able to get the broken parts out of the knob to reuse that if not don`t forget a new knob.

I agree it is a cheap design to make the welder cheaper to build.

*** Like all else you can always try but you will be billed for labor and the parts if the warranty claim is denied .

Good luck I see this on a daily basis Miller , Lincoln, and those Yellow ones plus other warranty vendor.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really hate to rain on your parade .

But there is no way that could be anything but user damage.

The sad news is if you bought uber $$$$$ from Lincoln and were on real good terms with the lincoln rep. Did something stupid like hooked up a dedicated 230V unit to 460v they might be able to squeek it through.

All parts for warranty with all the major welder and plasma makers the bad parts get sent back to the factory most of the time. Just like any other thing the repair center is billed for the warranty parts till it is decided if it was a warranty claim or not.

Buy the board install it yourself . Were you able to get the broken parts out of the knob to reuse that if not don`t forget a new knob.

I agree it is a cheap design to make the welder cheaper to build.

*** Like all else you can always try but you will be billed for labor and the parts if the warranty claim is denied .

Good luck I see this on a daily basis Miller , Lincoln, and those Yellow ones plus other warranty vendor.
The knob is fine, just the adjust broke doh! I talked to lincoln and they said stuff like that happens and they seemed fine to replace it.

But I was quoted 425 or so for a new part. When the whole welder cost 850 bucks. Not really worth it almost.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Got any pics of the actual damage? I've hacked my way through a number of broken circuit boards (rebuilding traces), or is it just the pot broken off the board, or... ?

Surely the whole board isn't trash, just a piece needs work... ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got any pics of the actual damage? I've hacked my way through a number of broken circuit boards (rebuilding traces), or is it just the pot broken off the board, or... ?

nothing wrong with the board. Just the adjuster knob broke off and its probably glued to its self now but if i could get a new adjuster piece maybe radio shack will carry it? Im sure i could pull back the silicon and soder it back on

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

yea it's the pot... Is there an easy way to get the silicon off the board? peel it back I should say...

Here are the numbers off the pot:

C0910074
10kOMS
20-0706

Made in Mexico.. Now where can I find one of these bastards.. lol.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found an exact one at the local repair radio place. They are ordering it tomorrow. Will just need wait should be able to use the welder by friday

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Good luck

i had been looking for bad board with a good 10 k pot but like all else never to be found when you need one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck

i had been looking for bad board with a good 10 k pot but like all else never to be found when you need one.
if you would like i can get two of them and send you one. Im getting the exact one from my board (clairostat ) or something like that. But from the picture its the same. The size even the same turning shaft. I find out today when i will be getting mine to repair the board. Its about a 3 dollar part.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay well got a call from the local place they want me to order a 100 of them so not doing that but I did find this:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=7532254

Will be available march 8th, shipping for me would be 20 bucks but still worth it in the end... could have it by the 10-11th.

Im looking locally to see if I can get something already pre made that is similar, that is in stock Instead of waiting two weeks almost...

Chris

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I was looking for one for you!!

On the smaller stuff like that you end up having to buy in bulk to get stuff like that.sometimes

Have you checked Newark we sometimes source electronics parts from them . Not sure about shipping to Canada or if they have any order restrictions as far as amounts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting three from digikey.com. Cost me 25 with shipping which was way cheaper than allied you wanted something like 19 for shipping. And the digi key is already sent out as of yesterday and should be here tomorrow. Orded extra for when they wear out down the road or if i break another lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts