Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hobart 175.
What should the regulator be set at for optimum performance.
I'm practicing to build my cage.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What wire? I sugest a good S6 .030 I prefer the lincoln wire. I run about 25 on my flow meeter. Did you look on the inside of the side cover? there are baseline peramiters provided by miller on a sticker in that location. Did you buy it new? if so Watch the video:flipoff2:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I see you asked "what pressure?", but I assume you mean flow rate. I use a Smith flow meter (the kind that has a ball that floats when gas is flowing) set at 20 CF/HR. I use a C25 mix, which is 75% argon and 25% CO2 (kwrangln has it backwards in his reply, and it's also CF/HR , not CFM). You want to be out of the wind for any kind of shielded gas welding, be it TIG or MIG. If you're outside in a breeze, use flux core.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
DOH!!!:mad: Guess my damn coffee hasnt kicked in yet, sorry about the bad info. My brain knew the answer, had trouble getting the info to my fingers while typing.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info
Yes it's a mix 75-25
indoor mostly
video no got
I don't know any welders sot my learning curve is pretty steep
that's why i'm practicing

flow rate , thanks for the correct term

·
Registered
519 Posts
MuddMachine said:

Doesnt matter what type of wire you use. If you have a breeze, you'll get porosity just the same.
Agreed.

I wouldn't build my cage in the wind, but if outdoors is your only option, flux core on a fairly calm day is ok.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What guage wire would be best for .120 wal dom

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
MuddMachine said:

Doesnt matter what type of wire you use. If you have a breeze, you'll get porosity just the same.
Unless you're using innershield:flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts