Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trailer with an older Army type axel . 5 bolt Large hub . Looking for aluminum wheels to fit . Any ideas where I should look ?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have a trailer with an older Army type axel . 5 bolt Large hub . Looking for aluminum wheels to fit . Any ideas where I should look ?
What you have are Foley, Axels, they are from Detroit, pretty popular in the '80s.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyway, back to the OP, I will be nice haha

Measure your bolt pattern

Figure out if it is hub centric or lug centric

Measure the wheel backspacing

(Use the internet to figure these things out if you don't know what I mean)

Go shopping and enjoy! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think you will be sol finding any aluminum rims for your axle. Its probably the 5 hole budd pattern found on Dodge WC's from WWII and Dodge M 37's from the 50's. The trailers they made to tow behind them had the same lug pattern and I have never seen any aluminum rims for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to have some army issue aluminum wheels for this axle . But they got stolen.the axle is 1950s vintage. The wheels have very little offset . They have slots in them looked in the aftermarket

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Anyway, back to the OP, I will be nice haha

Measure your bolt pattern

Figure out if it is hub centric or lug centric

Measure the wheel backspacing

(Use the internet to figure these things out if you don't know what I mean)

Go shopping and enjoy! :flipoff2:
^^This is the correct answer.

easier answer if you're lazy and feeling lucky:
maybe listing your model trailer might help someone in the know help you?

harder answer if you're not lazy and feeling lucky:
The military wheels that came on my trailer had like 46 coats of paint on the outside, but the inside was fairly clean and just a bit rusted, maybe you can dismount a tire and grab a wire wheel and see if there's any markings on the inside to help you out.

:usa:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I built the trailer in the late 60s . I started with the axle only . Not a question of being lazy .
There seem to be some real authorities on this forum .

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I dunno, there are at least a dozen 5 lug patterns and it being a "military" axle on a home built trailer doesn't narrow things down much either. I'd help if I could but with no pics and no measurements all anyone can do is take a stab in the dark or make fun of you. Or both, I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5x51/2 same as an older CJ-5 , with large center hub opening . I am looking for aluminum wheels that would fit an older CJ-6 . Sorry I wasn't clearer about what I am looking for . Tried Summit and 4. Wheel Parts . No luck.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
5x5.5 is an extremely common bolt pattern, it was used not just on a wide number of jeeps over the years but on ford F150's, broncos, dodge 1500's, etc. Unless the center opening is ridiculously huge, you should not have any problem finding alloy wheels. What backspacing do you need?

Seriously, I just went to summit, went under the category "wheels," put in that I only wanted to see alloy wheels in a 5x 5.5 bolt pattern. It found 1,192 wheels. Are you sure none of those will fit your trailer?

Wheels - Aluminum Wheel Material - 5 x 5 1/2 in. Wheel Bolt Pattern - SummitRacing.com

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
so now these "mystery wheels" are one of the most common, arguably possibly the most common pattern out there used across many manufacturers over like 4 decades?

I had aluminum jeep wheels on my M416 trailer, not sure what your "large center" means, but manufacturers use tape measures and stuff and come up with numbers and dimensions on their products :flipoff2:

you probably just need "4wd" wheels. They have a larger center hole to clear the front hubs. If it needs to be larger than that, and wheel repair place or machine shop with a large enough lathe can probably open up the centers for like $20 a piece

:usa:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I am lazy, I would use a mill to open up the center holes. Would take decent size lathe to swing a wheel.
Also, I would probably get the steel wheels sandblasted and powder coated. High end powder coasters have coatings you can't tell from chrome.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You can even use a router with a decent bit to open up the centers on aluminum wheels if they don't need opened much.. though if you look at the average aftermarket 5x5.5 wheel most of them have a pretty large center opening so that they will fit as many vehicles as possible. Personally, I wouldn't waste much time tracking down alloy wheels for a trailer, but apparently the OP feels differently. At this point in time I think he should just go to his local tire and wheel store and let them handle the order for him, I'm not sure he has the requisite skills to handle this one on his own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can't read sub's replies , they are in yellow . Hesteranger can't read or comprehend .
What I really want is some of the original Army wheels .
Not looking to reinvent the world .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts