Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
noob
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how others with the artec truss/ram mount have done this. I worry that if I dont set up the gears in my front D60 before I weld the truss on I won't be able to get a case spreader in to do the setup. If I do the setup first the warping that is going to happen from the welding will throw off the gear pattern and that the heat from the welding will definately destroy the seals. Overthinking this I know, just wondering what has worked for others. Sorry I know it's not tuesday

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you weld it first then set up your gears you should be fine. I don't see why it would be a problem. A case spreader will work even after it's welded.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I welded mine before I got the gears installed and everything worked out just fine. 80's D60 artec truss and ram mount.

·
noob
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Welded it up and will use a comealong to spread the case if we need to. Will try to doccument it when I can get some pictures uploaded. Try to get some tech going with my dumb question. :D

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Let me add to the tech...Is there room for a ruffstuff 3/8" cover with the artec truss??? Hard to tell from the photos how much room there is to R/R a beefy diff cover.

·
noob
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me add to the tech...Is there room for a ruffstuff 3/8" cover with the artec truss??? Hard to tell from the photos how much room there is to R/R a beefy diff cover.
I hope so, I have one on the way. When I spoke with Nate he said he thought it should work, could need some minor clearencing

·
InArtecWeTruss
3,523 Posts
We've had lots of guys use ruffstuff covers on these. The only thing that might touch is the bolt on skid plate directly in front of the cover. The chevy's will fit no problem. the fords and dodges have a little bend in the plate that comes pretty close to the cover. thats the only thing that'll need a little clearancing and its maybe a minute or two with a grinding wheel if that.
Nate

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I would think that I am pretty anal about setting up gears, and I only used a case spreader when I first started setting them up. Possibly because time is money at the garage, but I don't feel like I have a good "feel" for just how tight the side load will be on the carrier bearings if the case is actually wider than it will be when all is done. Maybe I am wrong, as I know what the books say, but I am going to say that I do not think the use of a case spreader is entirely necessary. I am sure someone will call me idiot and prove me wrong though... :flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts