Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a front housing from a friend of mine today, to modify for my front e-locker. not really sure of what year it came out of. I was starting to tear it down, when I realized that the hubs were made by Asco. They looked the same as Aisan except they were painted blue and silver. All metal inside and out. Even had cone washers holding it to the hub. Anybody ever seen one of these before?

Maybe jamisonworkshop can post some pics, because he has them now.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
got some too. off an early frontend. i think they were a company making the same spec hubs for toy that aisin was, but maybe before. i would not hesistate to run em. they are the same farsikantel.....hth

·
Registered
544 Posts
ASCO = Aisin Seiki Corp. Same thing. Someone told me on early Toys the color of the dial will tell you the ratio in the diff, blue =4.38, red = 4.10, don't think it's true though. Would only work on all original parts too.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
BRBx4 said:
...off an early frontend. i think they were a company making the same spec hubs for toy that aisin was, but maybe before. i would not hesistate to run em. they are the same farsikantel.....hth
ditto never seen a broken yota hub except when the bolts came loose due to lack of proper nut torque and not 'checking yer nuts!' occasionally.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a set too. Blue cap. I found them 'complete' in a 5-gal bucket on a parts run, w/cone washers and all. Perfect shape, just dirty. I was gonna clean them up for spares or put them on my axle just for sh*ts and giggles. Although, only toy nuts like myself would notice:(

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
I have a front end with one aisin hub and one asco hub. Both have red dails. Both work great.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Nate C said:

ditto never seen a broken yota hub except when the bolts came loose due to lack of proper nut torque and not 'checking yer nuts!' occasionally.
I've broken 2. The cap shatters on me :( .

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
RE:Todd said:
Hadn't heard of or seen em breaking like that til now. Are your bolts all kept tight? I've gouged the s**t of out mine on a couple rocks and almost wasted the selector dial that way...one of em now will turn about an 1/8" farther past the little arrow that says, 'Lock' engage or something like that!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Thats just a typical "bender" prob :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Nate C said:

Are your bolts all kept tight?
Yep. The last one I took out was after the EZ locker, and birf on that side blew up. Looked like this

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Yep. The last one I took out was after the EZ locker, and birf on that side blew up. Looked like this
Could the allen head bolts have contributed to the failure??? I notice those aren't stock toy bolts ;-)

It seems that all the fractures are only where the bolts are, improper torque maybe?

Not ruling out failure, just saying don't see it too often.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Mutt said:

Could the allen head bolts have contributed to the failure??? I notice those aren't stock toy bolts ;-)

It seems that all the fractures are only where the bolts are, improper torque maybe?

Not ruling out failure, just saying don't see it too often.
Could have been, I don't generally torque them, just tighten them.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I found an ASCO hub in a junk yard one time with a shattered dial. But this one had shattered on the back side, where the little ramps are for the clutch. I don't know what the guy was doing, but One of the stops on the little ramps was busted clean off, and the other side was cracked all to hell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts