Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're heading to moab next march and most of us are Yota freaks on 37s, bla bla. Buddy wants to go with in his 93 YJ 4 banger 5 speed. 3" spring under lift and is going to run 33s. Already has an 8.8, 4:10s and is going to throw in a spartan locker.

Question is what to do with the front axle.

First option is to leave it alone, run open diff and not break anything. Winch through any tough spots.

Second option is to run the 30, get some chromoly axle shafts, spartan locker and truss the housing.

Third option would be to build another axle, some sort of Dana 44. Not sure what options are out there nowadays.

Fourth option is to throw some Toyota axles under there:flipoff2:

I guess another question is what low gearing options is there for the 231? Haven't been able to find anything on recent searches.

This isn't going to be a hard core crawler, just a reliable rig to hit some medium level trails and still be streetable.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
For the 231, he will probably have to find a used Tera low or if there is room find a crawler box.

For the front, I’d either get a one piece long side and a lunchbox locker or find a hp ford 44 and narrow the long side.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I beat the crap out of an open front dana 30 with 33s and the 4.0 for a long time. In fact I blew up a ring and pinion in the 44 out back long before anything weird happened to the dana 30... of course, I was in high school and getting sideways any chance I could on the pavement back then.

I found that 4.56 with 33s and the 4.0 worked great. I feel like 4 banger plus 4.10 plus 33 inch tires is going to feel pretty anaemic.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
It all depends on how hard you want to push it. The set up will work great for a lot of the trails. I have been all over Moab in my Flatty on 33s. If you do a locker in the front and rear remember that slick rock is very grippy and its very hard to turn with stock steering. I had a locked Cherokee and in 4x4 I could not turn it going down hill on Hells Revenge until I put Ram assist in.

If it were me I would grab some yota axles so you can steal parts from your friends. The other option that I think would be killer would be to do a limited slip in the rear and a locker in the front then show the toys how to wheel.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Leave the front open and have fun. My Dad has the exact same rig as described plus good sliders, winch, and bumpers. Its way more capable than he gives it credit for. I wheel the piss out of though. With that set up I can wheel it how I want.

Get some anti kickback front shackles though. They will invert, especially with the 4" springs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I ran a very similar YJ for a long time. The Dana 30 can take 33" tires, a locker and a 2.5L. As mentioned above:

1) One-piece passenger side shaft

2) Front lunchbox locker (best value offroad upgrade that you can do!)

His rig is a little under-geared with 4.10s, 2.5L and 33" tires. I'm sure that he never uses 5th gear. He'll be using the clutch and RPMs a lot more than necessary.

3) 4:1 transfer case gearing would help a lot, but can get expensive

·
Registered
815 Posts
Cheapest, easiest thing to do is run to the junkyard and grab some 96+ Dana 30 shafts that are one piece with the larger u-joint. Throw in some new Spicer 760x and tack weld the caps in place. Will be a pretty reliable set up for 33s.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the replys fellas, but he did the smart thing and went and bought a semi built TJ over the weekend. Dana 44 rear, long arm kit, bumpers, sliders, winch, two tops, 4.0 5spd. Got it for 6K. Much better than sinking a bunch of money into a YJ. It's a super clean YJ tho it's now for sale..

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well thanks for the replys fellas, but he did the smart thing and went and bought a semi built TJ over the weekend. Dana 44 rear, long arm kit, bumpers, sliders, winch, two tops, 4.0 5spd. Got it for 6K. Much better than sinking a bunch of money into a YJ. It's a super clean YJ tho it's now for sale..
Link to for sale advertisement?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cheapest, easiest thing to do is run to the junkyard and grab some 96+ Dana 30 shafts that are one piece with the larger u-joint. Throw in some new Spicer 760x and tack weld the caps in place. Will be a pretty reliable set up for 33s.
This. Been locked on 33s with stock 96+ shafts (TJ, XJ) with welded caps and a lunchbox for years now through decently hard trails all over the Southwest. Just don't pin it to win it and it'll be fine.

BTW: painted a red witness line (just ran two strips of masking tape across the caps with a 1/4" gap between) so I could easily see if the caps were spinning on the 760x joints.

Don't go chromos on a lunchbox. Better the weak link is the axle shaft than the stock carrier assploding.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I beat the snot out of my YJ Dana 30 with a lunchbox locker on 35s for years. Converted the vac disco bullshit to a 1 piece inner. The key is not to back up with the steering at full lock I. Either direction. That is a guaranteed blown shaft joint. You can use XJ or TJ shafts as spares. I always carried 2 fully assembled spares per side and could swap a busted 30 front shaft out in under 10 minutes on the trail.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
How much? Maybe he will pass the savings he got on the tj along :confused:

Been thinking about picking up a cheap 4 banger jeep and doing an ax5/g52/4 hybrid so I can run my built Toyota duals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts