Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a sm465 today from some guy off craigs list. When i got it home and pulled the adapter off ATF fluid pored out. I believe gear oil is the correct fluid, right? I dont know anything about the tranny, as far as how much it was run with ATF in it. But i guess my question is how bad is it for the tranny to run ATF. I did some searches and some people found the same thing and others replied that it is not that bad and only makes the tranny noisier. I havent pulled the top of the tranny yet so i dont know how the internals look. Maybe a dumb question but lately i have scene a lot worse in the chevy section. :flipoff2:

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
260 Posts
Should be o.k. as long as they didn't pull hard with it. Pulling the top off will give you a good look at the gears and synchros anyway.

ATF doesn't have the hypoid gear stuff that the trans needs. It will work, but the real deal is better. If you need easier shifting, put new synchros in and use some lighter weight synthetic lube like Redline or something similar.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys, i wasnt all that worried but i havent seen ATF in any sm465's i have ever delt with.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
For what it's worth after doing a bunch of research for my 700r4/465 doubler, I was told in northern climates it's standard to run ATF in 4 speeds cause gear oil is just too thick. Pretty much it's not the end of the world unless you spend all your time in the desert. I think mine actually whines more with gear oil than it did with ATF.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The 205 in my Dodge requires 10 30 motor oil

You can pretty much run any oil in the 205 and it will work just fine. Thinner oil equals less resistance. Less resistance equals less heat from friction and better fuel economy.

We run motor oil in our 465's because other wise, shiting from first to second when it is cold out sucks. Plus the trans is quieter now.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Auto trans and xfers run tranny fluid.
Normally manual trannies and xfers normally run gear oil.

Your SM465 should have gear oil in it, same as the xfer case.
But I doubt it hurt anything running tranny fluid.
I had a 72 Chevy truck that had a sm465 and 205 that both had tranny fluid in them when I got the truck. This was in Alaska so I guess it was for the same reason the lumpster mentioned, cold weather operation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
General Motors 205's started out in the late-60's with 80/90w, then 30w in the mid-70's, and now ATFin the 80's. I am unaware of any differences in seals/bearing/gaskets/etc, so I just match whatever the tranny uses in case of seal failure.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It didnt smell like that nasty gear oil. Smellt more like ATF, but there was a hint of gear oil too. Oh well. I took the top of yesterday and gave a look inside. Everything looks pretty good except for the fact that there is some rust on one side of the most front gear. It is not in deep just service. I figure if i wire brush it it will be fine.

Had another question about removing the output bearing. I read that you need to use a bearing puller. Is a bearing puller any different that a gear puller? What do you guys use?

Also the bearing on the input shaft (shaft on the fron of the tranny), do you just need to spin that lock nut off and remove the tab thing and lock ring and pull it off. Or does that need the bearing puller to?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts