Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who has experience with ATLAS transfer cases.

Specs are:

5.7 HEMI
545 RFE
ATLAS 3.8.1 clocked flat
Atlas2: Atlas2 : Atlas 2 Speed Transfer Case
Gear Ratio: 3.8:1
Drop: Left hand drop (Driver Side)-Flat Rotation (#301100LF)
Input Spline: 23 Spline Input - Short (#A23SHORT)
Tailhousing: Standard Tailhousing (w/ speedo provission) (#ALT32)
Front Output: Heavy Duty 32 Spline (#AF32)
Shifter Kit: Cable Shifter - TJ Wrangler (#303020, #301510A)

In a jeep TJ

It if fully functioning right now in 2WD H. rear is set to H and front is set to N. When i attempt to engage into 4WD, i shift the tranny into N, then rear TC into N. At this point i can not do anything else. I have messed around with all sorts of different permutations (While rolling, while stopped, etc.... Nothing will move. I cannot get it back into front H UNLESS, i physically turn the engine off while in neutral, then put the tranny in park. Only at this point can i shift the rear back to H. I then fire up the engine and i can move again.

I see no bind the cables or the connections. I also had no issues when i first bench tested way back when.

At this stage:

- No problems in 2H rear (I.E. i can drive it in 2WD)
- When i shift rear into neutral (Which i can do), that's as far as i can go.
- I cannot shift the front into either H or L so since i have had it, it has stayed in Neutral)
- I cannot get the rear into L
- Once in neutral , i cannot easliy get the rear back into H to drive it as 2WD.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
cables aren't adjusted correctly it sounds like. You should be able to shift into 4H while rolling. No need to shift rear into N to do it. as far as L ive had to come to a complete stop to shift both in N the rear to L and then front to L for it to work. then while rolling front to N rear to N then to H. I personally would disconnect the cables front the Tcase manually shift it to L on both F/R then put shifters in low. and adjust to where there was just alittle tention to know its engaged then try shifting to H and back to low. I prefer the solid linkage cause cables tend to stretch if you mess with them enough. may even look into JB Fab's cable shifters super clean and alot more beef compared to AA stuff.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I maybe missing your question. But. If you shift the rear to neutral you can't shift the front to high range. Its not an option. You have 2wd rear high, 4wd high, 2wd low front, 2wd low rear, 4wd low.

When switching from 2wd high to 4wd high just put the front in gear as you are moving. No need to go to neutral at all.

Switching from 4wd high to 4wd low- in this order- Front axle to neutral, rear axle to low, front axle to low.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I threw away the cable setup and put manual levers/linkages in. I don't care what any one says, a cable cant push the same as it can pull. Mine went from a pain in the ass to shift with properly adjusted cables, to shifts like butter with the sticks. If it's a new case they do shift stiff untill broken in.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Your shifters are fine. It's putting the trans in neutral along with the case in neutral. An auto trans will still spin the output even when in neutral. You can't tell when the case in engaged.
So when you put the trans in N and the case in N, it will start to spin the case. This is why you can't shift unless you turn the jeep off. I bet money if you try to put it in park while both are in N it will grind the park pin. Make since?

Mine does this exact thing on my 4L80E. I put mine in park to shift both output shafts in N.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your shifters are fine. It's putting the trans in neutral along with the case in neutral. An auto trans will still spin the output even when in neutral. You can't tell when the case in engaged.
So when you put the trans in N and the case in N, it will start to spin the case. This is why you can't shift unless you turn the jeep off. I bet money if you try to put it in park while both are in N it will grind the park pin. Make since?

Mine does this exact thing on my 4L80E. I put mine in park to shift both output shafts in N.

Yup, that's what happens. I'll try it out tomorrow but am pretty sure when i put it in park, i can shift rear to N but that's about it. I can't move either front or rear to L or H. I'll fakk around with it some more.

Thank you everyone for the comments. Never knew the ATLAS was such a bitch during break in.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yup, that's what happens. I'll try it out tomorrow but am pretty sure when i put it in park, i can shift rear to N but that's about it. I can't move either front or rear to L or H. I'll fakk around with it some more.

Thank you everyone for the comments. Never knew the ATLAS was such a bitch during break in.
Fwiw, my atlas is well broke in and it's still a pain the ass to shift sometimes. I have solid shifters also.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fwiw, my atlas is well broke in and it's still a pain the ass to shift sometimes. I have solid shifters also.
lol. Fakk, i should have stuck with my rubi TC....!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The cable shifters suck for sure. I tell anyone that has trouble shifting an atlas to shift it like you hate it. I have had 3 different cases and never an issue shifting them. Just needs a quick hard shift sometimes.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Never knew the ATLAS was such a bitch during break in.
It shouldn't be that bad. I sold a brand new atlas to a friend and helped him swap inputs. Something in the front output had been assembled incorrectly and it was stuck in front hi. We had to take it apart and put it back together correctly to make it shift at all. It works fine now that it's done and in. Thought I was going to have to buy it back for a minute though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts