Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
The problem is the adaptor to the transmission. No one makes one to connect the ZF trans to the Atlas. There has been talk of making one but
It has never been done from what I know.

Ed

Ed

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here's mine, I am working on one on my d1. I'm putting in a 4speed 10:1. I've called around and no one is willing to do shit so I am doing my own thing working with a maching co. adapter is in works for the ZF tranny. new stub shaft and plate adapter along with new cross member and mounts. Should be ready within a couple weeks, PM me for more info. more pics to come as I progress.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Simple to do. There is an adapter for a 700R4 to the Atlas. Custom mounts for trans and t-case. There are already companies that make an adapter for the trans to t-case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
how does that relate for adapting a atlas to a zf? the 700r4 is a gm tranny, which then needs a non rover engine. yeah course that can be done!

but for a ZF? please point us to the companies.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is an adaptor from the Rover engine to the 700R4 available. That's the route we're taking.

I'd still be interested in seeing your ZF to Atlas adaptor once you get it done though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
can you point me to those kits?

You guys figure out a kit yet? I waited for a call from you but never got it back so headed on my own. making some good progress. wanted to see if your guy has access to internal spline cuts (broach)?

the original poster was interested in a ZF conversion i'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
interesting, you got pricing on the kit?

The ZF kit will be at least $500. A 700r4 can be pickup for a couple hundred and depending on the cost of that conversion kit to the engine it may be a viable options.

Bottom line, is this kit something available today?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I believe it is on the shelf.

From talking to a few other people, my understanding is that the 700R4 is very close in size to the ZF trans and the shift throw is the same.

·
Registered
264 Posts
anyway you get me the contact info and part #?

I will call D&D on Tuesday and get this order if so. I am ready to do this yesterday.

altas is in the trunk of the car :grinpimp:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im runing the 4 speed auto,im definaltly interested in getting an atlas and an adapter plate , what ratio would i need with the unimog axles though and where can i get it from that will ship to the uk and what cost is it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
im runing the 4 speed auto,im definaltly interested in getting an atlas and an adapter plate , what ratio would i need with the unimog axles though and where can i get it from that will ship to the uk and what cost is it?
Didnt you have your axles made to the same pinion offset specs as stock D2 axles? If so, atlas does not make a case you can use.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Okay...I knew I should have stayed off the board!

SO! WHO makes the LR to 700R trans adapter??? I know about the age-old TF727 adapters, but not the 700's. Please do tell! In my distant memory talking with Cooper about this years ago, we both thought that the 700r4's bell housing was way too large.

I'll be doing a Lovell single speed shift on the fly if this adapter exists.

--D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hence, my suggestion to place the call from the other post. When Eric mentioned his Atlas project a few months back, I natrually thought of you. Should I mention high flow plenums that are carbon fiber. That might look nice comimg through your hood. Don't get me started.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts