Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble diagnosing a problem with my Atlas. After the fluid warms up, it will grind while going down the highway. I replaced the U-Joints in my rear driveshaft, and the noise wasn't as prevelant, but it is still there. It gets really bad when free-wheeling. I pulled the inspection cover off of the bottom and all of the bearings looked in very good shape. The unit only has about 2k miles on it. My rear driveshaft angle is nearly ideal. I never had any trouble with it until I rotated it flat, then the noise appeared. I also took my carpet out at the same time, and I have wondered if it was there the whole time and I could not hear it. Anyone have any ideas? :confused: Thanks-

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Since it started after you clocked it flat see if it is making contact with the body/floor. Did you correctly adjust your pinion angle after you clocked it?

Just randomly throwing stuff out here.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission is a 700R-4.

I only have the rear drive shaft in currently because I have drive flanges in the front. I *thought* (my first problem) that since the rear end is centered it would not make a lot of differnence by clocking the transfer case. Seems to me that the rear output would not move a lot. :confused: The transfer case does hit the floor, but I took the cover off that it hits and it still made the noise. I had to cut a big hole in the floor to allow it to be clocked and covered it up with sheetmetal.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Robert said:
Have you tried calling AA? Seems like they might know something about these t-cases.:rolleyes:
Have you tried calling them to get tech advice? It seems that they just pick random people off the street to answer the phone. They told me that what ever was wrong with it wasn't there fault, so basically they didn't care. To hell with customer loyalty and service I guess. I have spent around $3k with them and when I call, they blow me off.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I re-filled with a little over 2.5 quarts to make sure it had plenty of fluid, and it puked the excess out. The shifters don't hit the body. Checked for that.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I had some similar noises for a while too. AA told me just to run it hard and they would work themselves out. Well, needless to say AA was right, the harder I wheel it, the quiter it gets...

damn, what a shitty fix to your prob...

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I would really look at your driveline angles, I have seen (heard)
that causing the noise you describe. Maybe try shimming the rearend just to see if it changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts