Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, we just wanted to get some feedback on our newly updated pricing on our axles. We have passed on some recent supplier savings onto the consumers..

Right now a fully built set of builder style axles are $10,800. They come with ARB's, brakes, thirdmember, everything.

The bolt in JK's we are listing for $12,800 for a set.

Let us know your thoughts. We will be at KOH with our Atomic buggy also if anyone has questions. Here are some preliminary pics. This from the exhaust getting done.

Atomic

Attachments

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What R&P are you using? Does the axles use cv's or u-joints? Anymore specs or website?
I We use a 9inch center, with CV setup with 1.5 diameter dual heat treated shafts, 35 spline. I have attached an image that will hopefully answer some questions. Let us know if this helps.

You can also see us on facebook, and our website at www.atomicaxles.com

Atomic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i love these axes........even though for some reson most of pirate seemed to hate the idea.......

but am i missing something........why do they cost 10,000 dollars....seems like a shit ton of money......

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
i love these axes........even though for some reson most of pirate seemed to hate the idea.......

but am i missing something........why do they cost 10,000 dollars....seems like a shit ton of money......
Call dynatrac and get a price for similarly equipped axles. Pricing is online for most any "built" aftermarket axle.

Curious about weight as well

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A shit ton of money compared to what? This axle is in somewhat of a new catagory since it isn't a portal but allows for similar clearance at a reduced weight....and it has blingy Chromo parts. This could very well be a high performance alternative to a portal for comp applications. I wish it didn't have to use a 9" center but oh well. Hopefully, one day we could see axle designs like this with a Super14 or Sixty9 3rd. It seems like this could be doable. I like to know more about the origins of the CV's and look forward to following how they perform in very abusive applications.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I know the OP had posted weights in the previous thread....I just don't remember what they were exactly....I think the fully dressed steer axle was in the mid 400 LB range which seemed light to me.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
front axle weighs in at 487 pounds...that is completely loaded, hub to hub,optional high steer arms, complete axle with a strange third....also this includes kingpin style knuckles/end forgings...you could shave more weight by going to balljoint knuckles, an aluminum third, and unit style or a shorty hub set up....this is basically the heaviest it can be....

rear axle weighs in at 410...that is complete, hub to hub with a strange third...again you can shave weight in the third, and hub set up

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the OP had posted weights in the previous thread....I just don't remember what they were exactly....I think the fully dressed steer axle was in the mid 400 LB range which seemed light to me.
Also here are some pics of housings and fully completed units. Keep in mind that the end forgings out are off the shelf 60 parts so if you have a third member already you can build a set of Atomics yourself for cheap if you are willing to cut some 60's up that you may already have.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
A shit ton of money compared to what? This axle is in somewhat of a new catagory since it isn't a portal but allows for similar clearance at a reduced weight....and it has blingy Chromo parts. This could very well be a high performance alternative to a portal for comp applications. I wish it didn't have to use a 9" center but oh well. Hopefully, one day we could see axle designs like this with a Super14 or Sixty9 3rd. It seems like this could be doable. I like to know more about the origins of the CV's and look forward to following how they perform in very abusive applications.

what do you have against the 9" ring and pinion? It's literally 3/4" smaller than the Dana 60 ring gear...

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
IMO, this buggy has much more appeal than the other show rig running around the net with your axles. Are you guys racing in KOH or just showing the buggy?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
You can if it is within the range we can deal with from an engineering perspective. Let us know what you are thinking and I can ask the appropriate people to get you a definite answer.
69.25 - same as a full width Ford D60 front.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
The diff on the fronts is centered? How do you get a driveline in without building the rig sky high?
Also looks like the access cover bolts on from the top. I guess you gotta squeeze the shock mounts all the way out on the knuckle?

Seems like you're also limited to a 4-link. Between that and the centered driveline I kinda wonder where the motor is supposed to go. (I understand it works for a rear engine, but then what do you do with the centered rear axle :confused: )

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
what do you have against the 9" ring and pinion? It's literally 3/4" smaller than the Dana 60 ring gear...
Smaller but stronger. With a strong center section and RCV's this axle would be pretty mean. It is a bunch lighter then I thought too. Packaging would be a big issue though. A buggy would have to be built around these things. Similar to a rockwell or portal.

Now we need some KOH testing to prove its abilities.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
Smaller but stronger. With a strong center section and RCV's this axle would be pretty mean. It is a bunch lighter then I thought too. Packaging would be a big issue though. A buggy would have to be built around these things. Similar to a rockwell or portal.

Now we need some KOH testing to prove its abilities.
This clears up a bunch of my packaging questions...I'm not sure if the net gain is worth it with the amount of extra stuff going on here... :confused:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 130 Posts