Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tight fit back there. I'm trying to decide how to situate my fuel cell, radiator and electric fan. I think I've got it figured out but I just want to know if I'm overlooking something stupid. The radiator is going to mount to the backside of the main hoop, right behind the seats. The fuel cell (12 gallon summit poly) is going right behind that. I have about 4" between the cell and the radiator. The electric fan is going on the front side of the radiator, it will push to the rear. So I guess my main concerns are whether or not 4" is enough room for air to move out and stay cool and if there is anything to worry about having the fuel cell so close. From a side view the cell is mounted level with the top half of the radiator, so it does not obstruct the bottom half of the radiator. The 4" space is only at the top half.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
no personal experience, but Lance said a while back that he thought part of his cooling problems were a result of using the fan pushing. I think he changed it to a puller and it works ok. i can't remember but maybe he said his problems were just when traveling on the road. search for a thread with my username and radiator in the title should pull up the thread.

- jack

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
sean,
here's some experience from helping a friend with this.. there's a good chance when u start it the first time you're going to over heat.. it's a little harder to keep your motor cool when the radiator is so far away and hidden..

what motor are you running??
what water pump you got and how old is it??
is it a good fan??
how much hose have u run??

my buddy has his right behind the front seats but nothing restricting air from the other side (like your fuel cell).. he has also fit 2 electric fans on it.. all was good, but the first time he started it up it would over heat religiously.. once he got a new high flow h20 pump (about $70) it quit the over heating for good.. it's very important to be able to move all that coolant.. once you do and have enough air moving (i suggest really good fans) it will cool nicely.. especially since you get all that extra fluid in the system.. that really helps..

maybe you have all this covered.. the only REAL way to know is to hook it up and see what it does.. i don't think the fuel cell will be a big issue with a good fan.. g'luck!

btw, that fan'll keep ya nice and hot in the summer time!! heated seats.. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts