Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TPIJeep, Yet another question for you and other TPI pros.

87 TPI, Mass Air flow, in a YJ, Painless Harness

My check engine light STAYS on, with the ignition switch on and not motor running, and with the motor running. I have made reference to the "TPI Fuel Injection Swappers Guide" and it said to check wires CKT 419 and CKT 451 both are fine. It also said that it could be a faulty ECM or Mem-Cal. The Prom is from FastChip. Which i posted earlier HERE:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103603&highlight=chip

And by the way i bitched about how much the chip cost and for the way that it has help so far i would have paid double what i did. I just have not driven it yet with the new chip in because i tore the rear end down while waiting for the chip. But it starts on the first try and idles perfect.

What do you think of this new problem?

Thanks
Chad

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
The check engine light should be ON when the key is on/engine not running. If the light stays on when the engine is running you have a code thrown.... you need to take a paperclip and connect the A and B connectors on the ADL Connector, thats the one you plug the code scanner into... then you need to note which codes it is flashing...

To read the codes connect A and B turn the key on but do not start the engine then watch the light flashes... blink... pause blink,blink would indicate code 12, it will repeat this code 3 times and then move on to any other codes.. It repeats each code 3 times.. code 51 would be blink,blink,blink,blink,blink.... pause blink... pause then it repeats...

Let me know if you are getting any other codes besided code 12

:D

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
1tonyj said:
Is there a trick to jumping the A, B . I mean they are the last two slots on the right on the top row. Correct??? Above ? Below the prong in those slots???? The paper clip pushed in far??? Not at all??? Am i not holding my tongue right or what???
There is no trick.. just make sure the conductors are touching the paperclip :confused: Should be a little A and B on the plug upper row, I think on the left?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Painless book says they are on the right but i will try the ones on the left. I have also called them but the guy i talked to said that all the techs were gone at the time and he would call me back the next day. That was about a two weeks ago.

I don't know what else to do.:confused: I guess i will call them again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but the numbering on the ALDL
connector may actually be on the back of the connector.
Additionally you might want to verify the A and B wiring,
it should be on one the painless wiring diagrams.
That way you can easily check to make sure you are
connecting proper ports. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chrisd, that diagram is EXACTLY the Painless set up which i am sure is also factory Chevy set up. I have done EXACTLY what you, TPIJeep and the Painless books says to do with key on engine and not running. No flashing.......... nothing. Just constant light.

Newjoy and TPIJeep, you where right, the terminals are labeled on the ALDL. on the top, for the top row, and on the bottom, for you quessed it the bottom row. I cant believe i did not notice it before but they are there.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hope you can get a couple hundred miles on it. Maybe next weekend we can try it out at Rich. I still have to drop my radiator a little. Agr says thet tight spot in my steering may be a piece of trash caught in the bypass valve. I need to check that also. I hope I have time this weekend to get that stuff done. I'm getting insulation on Friday and Anita is off on Saturday so I'll probably have to spend some time with her.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Sure sounds like the check engine light circuit is wired wrong or the ECM itself has a fault (bad relay or something) Get on the horn with Painless and let them figure it out for you.

Sure sounds like something wrong with the harness...

Good Luck

·
Registered
727 Posts
Don't forget to check the SES light ckt that is isn't shorted to another wire powered with key-on. Could be something simle like that. Also from link above the ALDL d term is SES light ground. make sure its not swaped with the B terminal.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only terminals that contain wire on the the Painless ALDL are A, B, E, F, and M. I spoke with Lance at Painless and he had me unplug the ECM completely and check the Brown/white (A terminal) wire and it was not grounding itself out. Therefore he said that it was a ECM problem and that i needed to get it scanned, so that is my next step. Then i guess i'll have to replace the damned thing.

The funny thing is that, like i stated a hundred times before, the Jeep is ruuning GREAT???????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.