Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb here, I have a 1991, YJ, 4.0, 242, carburetor, 3" body lift and I would like to add another 2" to the body lift, how big a tire can I run with a 5" body lift? I am also thinking of getting rid of the lift and lowering to the ground, cool!.............just kidding

I do have a 1990, 4.2 and have put in a motorcraft 2100 but I still had a vacuume leak. The leak is where the throttle shaft goes through the main body, there is a small amount of play in the shaft, not much but when I spray carb cleaner I can almost choke off the engine. I checked the other 2100 and it leaks as well, checked the two Carters I use as door stops and both have leaks at the throttle shaft, and my old motorcycle carb leaks there also. These old carbs are wearing a leak after 25+ years of stepping on the gas. I think most of the people still running old carbs have some leak there and I can not find a good, semi-permenent fix. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
First, you might want to follow the directions and CHECK IN.

Then try a SEARCH!

Then move this to the NOOB forum.

And last have a carb rebuiler put new throttle shaft bushings in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, will someone please move me to newb. But I did not think the older MC2100 had bushings. The Carter does, but both my 2100s' do not have any bushings and there is no room to fit any.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They don't come with bushings new. Some refurbished carbs have the shafts machined so a bushing can be fitted to it.

Keep your cables and linkage clean and lubed, and go easy on the return spring, a heavy spring will wear the shaft more quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, having bushings installed is a great idea. Now I just need to find a "good" machine shop. I also read rtv can be used as a quick fix. Thanks again!

·
Registered
204 Posts
RTV is not a quick fix, gas melts most rtv as fast as a blow torch melts butter. In a fix you can use urethane o rings, they get you idling again, but won't last long. You take off the shaft, use a small spring, a washer, and an o ring. The washer and spring keep the o ring tight against the throttle body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts