Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting talking with a friend about this idea and wondered how doable this would be.

I'm planning a flatbed for my Toy and want to sink an over the bed rail tool box down as far as i can in the surface of the flatbed behind the cab.

We were thinking it would be cool to divide the box in half and separate the lid to open each side independantly. One side would be tools, parts etc and the other would be insulated and turned into a small fridge for keeping steaks, sodas etc cool. Anyone done anything like this (search turned up nil)? Any ideas on the best way to carry out such a plan?

Oh and go ahead and make fun but you know you won't make fun after a long day when you want a cold one back at camp!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
OK.. yeah it's a cool idea but what exactly is the question? How to build a box? (hint: they have four sides, a bottom and a top ;) I'd put a drain plug on it so you can hose it out when your beers explode from vibration.

And why not buy a cooler and bolt it to the bed?
I guess maybe you could lock it up so nobody steals your T-bones..

-tom

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
????

whats wrong with coolers? i have enough to worry about when i'm out wheelin, let alone another fawkin contraption on my rig.;)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Buy an ARB fridge in the appropriate size and be done with it. By the time you got such a project done, it'd be complete hack job. Or just buy one of those Coleman extreme coolers and bolt it on. Unless you're planning on drinking from that cooler for a week those things work great. They hold ice in AZ summers for a long time.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
If you have existing A/C it wouldn't be too difficult.Extend lines from the evaporator,install evap in box,install drain pan and drain on evap.install fan on evap.Wire up a thermostat to control compressor.Use sight glass to charge system with refrigerant.If it's really hot where your going you will either need excellent insulation for your box or some kind of defrost control.

Of course you will also need new drier,more refrigerant, guages,vac. pump and reclaim unit if you have working A/C now.

Go buy a cooler.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
pmurf1 said:
Buy an ARB fridge in the appropriate size and be done with it. By the time you got such a project done, it'd be complete hack job. Or just buy one of those Coleman extreme coolers and bolt it on. Unless you're planning on drinking from that cooler for a week those things work great. They hold ice in AZ summers for a long time.
You can get a $99 freezer/warmer the size of an ARB. My dad uses one in his semi, lasted 7 years of CONSTANT use.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! Okay okay damn it

Allright I get the point! I'll just bolt a cooler down and accept defeat like the rest of ya.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
R O said:
If you have existing A/C it wouldn't be too difficult.Extend lines from the evaporator,install evap in box,install drain pan and drain on evap.install fan on evap.Wire up a thermostat to control compressor.Use sight glass to charge system with refrigerant.If it's really hot where your going you will either need excellent insulation for your box or some kind of defrost control.

Of course you will also need new drier,more refrigerant, guages,vac. pump and reclaim unit if you have working A/C now.

Go buy a cooler.:flipoff2:
This would work okay, until you turn the engine off:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If you are gonna divide the box in half, install a petcock in the bottom of the side you want to use for a cooler, and fill with ice. You could make a box inside that box and use the spray foam insulation to keep things colder longer.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Toyofast said:
cooler + dry ice = cold drinks all day long.

No it's cooler + dry ice = FROZEN drinks for a week!:laughing:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
ZERO CR-100-RV
3.5 Cu. Ft. 3-Way Power Slide-in RV Refrigerator
Zero offers a small size slide-in RV refrigerator with freezer compartment. Powered from either LPG, 110v AC, or 12v DC sources. The door is trimmed to accept matching paneling of the RV. Features include; Top Mounted Controls, Push Button Piezo Igniter, Gas-on Flame Indicator, Thermostat control, Safety Valve, Ice Tray

Specifications ZERO CR-100-RV
Overall Exterior Dimensions H=30.5" X W=20" X D=23"
Cabinet Hole Min. Dimensions H=30" X W=20" X D=21"
Refrigerator Capacity 3.11 cubic feet
Freezer Capacity 0.39 cubic feet
Color Almond trim
LP Gas Consumption 1 Gallon per 9 days
AC Power Consumption 260 Watt
Shipping Weight 70 Lbs.
Warranty 1 year full parts and labor

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
For the price of one of those you could buy a 20 cf. side by side with ice and water in the door!

RV fridges are EXPENSIVE!!!!!:eek:

Priced a 2 cf. for my pop up and the fawker was over $700!

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
ForestCam said:
For the price of one of those you could buy a 20 cf. side by side with ice and water in the door!

RV fridges are EXPENSIVE!!!!!:eek:

Priced a 2 cf. for my pop up and the fawker was over $700!
You can find them used for less than a 100.00 and there the same $$ as a ARB and 2x the size and no Propane on the ARB.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Old Scout said:

You can find them used for less than a 100.00 and there the same $$ as a ARB and 2x the size and no Propane on the ARB.
You find one let me know! Right now I have a little dorm fridge in mine so I'm tied to campground camping.

Liquid ammonia refrigeration is the tits though, no moving parts to ever wear out.:D

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Problem with that is all the old RV's around here go to Florida or Arizona to die.:laughing:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

Rugged, compact and lightweight, the RC3000 portable refrigerator from Dometic is perfect for college dorms, campsites, boating, or tailgate parties. The RC3000 can utilize three charging sources, LP gas, 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC. Available in turquoise blue, this versatile portable refrigerator offers these features:
>Snap-on wheels for easy maneuverability; built-in handles
>35 liter capacity
>Easily fastened pulling handle
>Push button piezo ignitor
>Light emitting diode (LED) for AC operation
>Hermetically sealed lid
>Durable plastic molded casing
>Turquoise color
>Fully enclosed cooling unit

Exterior dimensions: 18" in height without wheels, 21" with wheels, 23 5/8" wide, 16 1/4" deep

Interior dimensions: 13 1/8"H x 19 1/8"W x 8 3/4"D.

Cost of the RC3000 is $435

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, thanks

Hmm, these are some cool suggestions for the cooler part.

I'd have to custom build the toolbox/cooler for the ARB or an RV fridge, which is fine. I wonder how quick something like this would drain a battery. I didn't think about the propane question either. I could find another use for propane at camp of course. How much propane are we talking on these things?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts