Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A put a couple pics in the pic section and a few asked where the build for this was so I thought Id put a few build pics up.
My serria(sammie) was getting a bit second hand so I thought Id freshen it up

shiney

not so shiney
Now was the time for a full rebuild, it had to be lower overall with a higher belly hite, easy to maintain panels easy to steer front and rear and fairly light.

started by notching the body over the rails

fitted up the transfer air shifted

braced up all the belly I feel box section is better than tube here

basic tube work. copyed all the lines from another serria I had at the time

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
braced up all the frame, trying to keep the suzuki lines

Sorted out the suspension 4 link rear, A frame front

finished all the fiddle stuff and drove it for a few months unpainted with out the rear steer to make sure I was happy with everything

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so a couple of months later, I was happy I didn't have to change anything I stripped it all down and sandblasted it

layed down a coat of straight black tinter with red pearl

Gave the big block a tidy up, fitted led lights ect

So it was all finished except the rear steer, I didn't have the funds to build the rear axle yet

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drove it like that for 12 months or so,before puttin the rear steer under

Adding rear steer made it like driving a new rig. I don't even front dig anymore
I then have been driving it for a few years in that form. it gets a bit added every now and then, like nitrous

which is handy if you want to really lean on it to get it somwhere

panels worked out good. they are quick to replace, and makes it look new again

How it sits now

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Awesome build! that's the sort of thing I want to do once my current SJ is finished.

Can we have a bit more info on that transfer box please? :D I think i know how you've done it but if you had any detailed pics that would be cool! Do the input shaft bearings not get starved of oil with it mounted like that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I will be there at tt11 dustie, hopefully beating my last years attempt.
I have a few internal picks of that transfer uploading now. I don't run it any more becouse it a a little weaker than my other parts, which is no good with my driving style.
And yes that pic was from tt last year and it was gassed up but I was running low after the mud run the night before.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a front out put graphted on the rear of the case for rear dissconnect

So I cut all the speedo drive and stuff out and cut up another case for the parts I needed

other than that the other custom bit to make it work was the counter shaft. I got two of them lathed down and turned into one. Here is a stock one next to the custom

It shifted like a dream compared to most disconnects but was a weak link in my drive chain, so I found out when bumping up under cuts. First I used to bust the spigot off the end of the output. so I strengthened it like so

But then I started shattering these little gears

so when I put the rear steer under I decided I didn't need to dig any more so I put a stock housing back in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have been following your build for a while now Rhett, hoping to turn mine into something similar :smokin:

And this is one of the best wheeling/action pics I have seen ( stolen from your outers build )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well its time for some changes as i have been getting a little bored with the current set up. Im mostly chasing a bit more comfort and smothness.
So i have started fitting up a twin cam 1300 gti motor. gti crank with spool h beam rods and honda pistons. It will be getting a t25 turbo. slightly bigger than the td04 i run now.

while its in the shed for a bit i thought id put a new top on the cage as it was tweaked 3" to one side

gave me a good excuse to test out my new roller bender

put a slight curve to the rear stays and added my own touch with the welder

and streached the rear out by 2" it sits at 99" wheelbase now

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
You guys build cool shit with the best of them, but you keep putting the steering wheel on the wrong side :flipoff2:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
always have tryed to do things a little different. sometimes you just have to to make the budget go further.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts