Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the difference, besides the springs, from the lockright and the detroit EZ? DRM sugested the differences would be above the average reader so they weren't included in the review. So, what are the key differences that make it supposedly better than the competition? How is the substantially lower price indicative of these "improvements", or are we being screwed ny powertrax and tractec? Anyone care to share the REAL lowdown with the 'average' and some above readers?

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Product Differences

There are many differences between the Aussie Locker and the competition!

A few are:

Powertrax/Lock Right have for many years touted their "Shear Pins". They state that their pins are designed to shear/break when the locker gets in a certain position within the case. The so called "benefit" is that the pins break and not the locker. Aussie Locker takes a different design approach and designs our locker so that if it is properly installed, the locker will not get in the position that causes pins to break, therefore "No Shear Pins" in the Aussie Locker...our pins are designed to last the life of the locker.

Lock Right has patents and has touted their "spring-within-a-spring design. The Aussie Locker uses a robust spring that does not need two to provide strength and reliability. The EZ locker uses a little "top hat" to fit in the end of their spring". Fewer parts means higher reliability. Point to the Aussie Locker.

Lock Right and EZ use a design that have holes (windows) drilled in the sides of the axle gears and cam gears. Aussie Locker engineers feel that holes create opportunities for breakage and we do not use this design and have patents pending to cover our approach. We eliminate 8 side holes in our design. The use of these holes also requires little tunnels in the gears, close to the walls of the gear, where the pin and springs fit and we do not like that for reliability.

We use a teeth depth and angles for our product that our engineers have determined to be appropriate for the noise level, smoothness and reliability of our product. Other manufacturers use their own designs.

The Aussie Locker cam angles are of our design resulting in a design that meets our product objectives.

The Aussie Locker product undergoes a special and propriatary heat treating process to ensure long life and reliability.

Aussie Locker has a 100% quality audit under electronic microscopes where we measure specification conformance to the micron level. We will leave it to other manufacturers to specify their own quality level, but we are quite confident that ours is the best in the industry.

The Aussie Locker has the best warranty in the industry, with no "get out of jail free" cards the manufacturer can pull out if you have larger than OEM tires or high horsepower.

As to the pricing, why must a lower cost product been suspect as to quality? We sell direct to the end user through our web site. Our advertising is primarily on the web vs. the costly print media used by our competitors. And we understand that most of our customers do not have a lot of cash to throw around, so why charge them a high price, just because you can?

TorqMasters Technology Inc. is not some billion dollar company where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are off roaders like our customers. When was the last time anyone saw the President of Detroit Locker or Richmond Gear out on the trail with their customers?

We set out to design a product that met "our" own traction requirements and we have successfully done so.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
damn, thats a good answer.
these are sounding like a pretty damn good unit for the cost.
and probably work tons better than the douchetrac i currently have.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
gnob said:
damn, thats a good answer.
And the length and depth of such an answer is part of the reason I left that kind of stuff out of the review ;)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
AlaskaToy said:
DRM sugested the differences would be above the average reader so they weren't included in the review.
You need some correction on this point. I did not suggest that this type of technical detail was "above" anyone. I did however say that I felt that the average reader would not be interested in a lengthy technical discussion of the differences between the Aussie locker and others of similar design.

I also felt it is in poor taste to spend so much time discussing OTHER products in the review of THIS product. IMHO - *I* just don't do reviews that way.

I am however glad to see the Aussie locker guys came on here to explain it in great detail like they have - more proof of their dedication to us all :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Straight to the point with no hog wash.

It works, Its cheap, and I will run it until I am proven otherwise.
You know it cant be worse than others so just jump on the price.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aussielocker,

Wow. Ask and you shall receive! Thanks aussielocker. Just what I was looking for.:)

DRM,

for the record
I debated getting further into that aspect, but to be honest - the average reader would not understand, or even want to read about some of the minute technical and mechanical differences in place.
:flipoff2:

All jabs aside, thanks for doing the review and sharing it on the board:)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
"Understand" and "above" are not the same thing. But it is irrelevant now :)

·
Banned
226 Posts
Re: Product Differences

aussielocker said:
There are many differences between the Aussie Locker and the competition!

A few are:

Powertrax/Lock Right have for many years touted their "Shear Pins". They state that their pins are designed to shear/break when the locker gets in a certain position within the case. The so called "benefit" is that the pins break and not the locker. Aussie Locker takes a different design approach and designs our locker so that if it is properly installed, the locker will not get in the position that causes pins to break, therefore "No Shear Pins" in the Aussie Locker...our pins are designed to last the life of the locker.

Lock Right has patents and has touted their "spring-within-a-spring design. The Aussie Locker uses a robust spring that does not need two to provide strength and reliability. The EZ locker uses a little "top hat" to fit in the end of their spring". Fewer parts means higher reliability. Point to the Aussie Locker.

Lock Right and EZ use a design that have holes (windows) drilled in the sides of the axle gears and cam gears. Aussie Locker engineers feel that holes create opportunities for breakage and we do not use this design and have patents pending to cover our approach. We eliminate 8 side holes in our design. The use of these holes also requires little tunnels in the gears, close to the walls of the gear, where the pin and springs fit and we do not like that for reliability.

We use a teeth depth and angles for our product that our engineers have determined to be appropriate for the noise level, smoothness and reliability of our product. Other manufacturers use their own designs.

The Aussie Locker cam angles are of our design resulting in a design that meets our product objectives.

The Aussie Locker product undergoes a special and propriatary heat treating process to ensure long life and reliability.

Aussie Locker has a 100% quality audit under electronic microscopes where we measure specification conformance to the micron level. We will leave it to other manufacturers to specify their own quality level, but we are quite confident that ours is the best in the industry.

The Aussie Locker has the best warranty in the industry, with no "get out of jail free" cards the manufacturer can pull out if you have larger than OEM tires or high horsepower.

As to the pricing, why must a lower cost product been suspect as to quality? We sell direct to the end user through our web site. Our advertising is primarily on the web vs. the costly print media used by our competitors. And we understand that most of our customers do not have a lot of cash to throw around, so why charge them a high price, just because you can?

TorqMasters Technology Inc. is not some billion dollar company where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are off roaders like our customers. When was the last time anyone saw the President of Detroit Locker or Richmond Gear out on the trail with their customers?

We set out to design a product that met "our" own traction requirements and we have successfully done so.

Do you have one for the 8.4 Tacoma/t100 rear end. If so, how much?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah...sounds like a hella good unit.

Is your Std. D44 unit out yet?

How much and where do i order one?

·
Registered
940 Posts
buy them

here

also, quick question: are aussie lockers made using powdered metalurgy? they look very similar in color and surface grain/texture to some powdered metal parts i've seen/played with...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aussielocker, could you please clear this for me & every one else in the Isuzu comunity:

"Rodeo 1998-2000
IFS
Front DANA Model 44 30 10 XD-14430 $260.00 $199.99 "

As far as any one who ever owned Isuzu , they never had any D44 front differentials, so if you know otherwise PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me (& every one else) know if it's a missprint or you actualy know of Isuzu with D44 front dif.

Not trying to be an ass, just wanna know what options do we have.

rubo

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Aussie Locker Composition

The Aussie Locker is made from a special steel alloy that comes to us as bar stock about 20 feet long. This stock is cut into pucks and then put on our lathes and CNC machines and cut to the exact size the model requires.

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
Isuzu

Rubo,

We may have an error in our documents and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will have our engineers research our source documents on the front Dana 44 and if necessary make a correction to the model page. We will try to have this done by Oct. 1 and we certainly apologize for any confusion.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
VT_Toy said:
How does the locker react to compression braking?
The test unit I received is on it's way to Tellico for a weekend of wheeling right now... I will get the driver to summarize how it was all weekend when he gets back.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
DRM said:

The test unit I received is on it's way to Tellico for a weekend of wheeling right now... I will get the driver to summarize how it was all weekend when he gets back.
It'll be cool to hear experiences.

I'd like a technical explanation from the Aussie folks too, if they read this......

I'm wondering if it locks or unlocks when there's drag on it from compression braking.

Also, does it lock up like normal in reverse?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
VT_Toy said:

It'll be cool to hear experiences.

I'd like a technical explanation from the Aussie folks too, if they read this......

I'm wondering if it locks or unlocks when there's drag on it from compression braking.

Also, does it lock up like normal in reverse?

I can answer this one (I think :p)

The locker, in reverse, does the EXACT same thing as before, except in reverse.

In reverse, you will still power both wheels, but one will (as in std. rotation) be alowed to "over-run" (turn faster, but not slower than) the driven wheel.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Re: Re: Product Differences

mkrzys said:

Do you have one for the 8.4 Tacoma/t100 rear end. If so, how much?
Not yet according to their web site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Product Differences

No where in any Powertrax literature have I ever seen a claim about shear pins, or their unit being designed to break in a certain position. Matter of fact, since the unit does not move about the case except in rotation with the axles, this is just plain bs on your part.

Wrong again. Double springs mean if one ever fails, the other is still there, as well eliminating frequency problems. If yours ever fails, there is nothing there, and you're always stuck with a frequency failure using a single spring. A top hat on the end of a spring spreads the load and prevents damage.

Not just wrong, but a flat out lie. There are no cams and no axle gears in a lockrite, and there are no holes or windows drilled in any of their parts save the spring holes.

Your product may well be a fantastic item. But don't go spreading dishonesty about others to promote yours. Lockrite is a mediocre product in its own right. You don't need to make things up about them.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts