Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've done some searching but I still can't seem to figure out the difference between an Aussie and full Detroit No-Spin locker.

I know the Detroit is a full locker, and the Aussie is a "lunchbox" locker, but whats the difference? Why spend the extra money on a full detroit? Is it just a strenght issue?

Or are there times when a Detroit would lock up that an Aussie wouldn't?

:confused:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Both would lock-up as lockers do.
Detroit replaces the carrier - lunchboxes don't

do some searching newbie

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I think the Aussie is quieter and less quircky than the detroit. My personal preference.
And if the Aussie breaks pins it is only 5 bucks. Compare that to a detroit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you're talking about a rear application, I'd reccomend ponying up for the real deal. Nothing against lunchboxers (I have a Lockrite in the front of my pile), but I'd rather have some more girth in the rear end as it sees constant use.

Just noticed............I said girth in the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While we're on the subjet of Aussie lockers, do they make a good canidate for the front of a 1985 4Runner, stock? I'm going to put one in the rear, but is a front worth it too for a daily driver? I'm just gonna have them for a little, until I save up for ARB's and gears. Should I even bother? Should I try to find one on E-Bay? Sorry to steal the thread but the oppertunity came knocking... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
DOnt bother if you want something later. It will make it tight on turning and want to track straight.

Any locker up front on a daily driver makes it FUN. :D Keep both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Any locker up front on a daily driver makes it FUN. :D Keep both hands on the wheel.[/QUOTE said:
Only if you're driving around with the hubs locked.

Bob

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically its just a strength issue and the performance of both is virtually the same, correct?

I don't think strength will be an issue for me since I am only running 33s and maybe 35s max in the future so I should be fine with an aussie. Altho I might just end up welding it right now since I am broke.....

Thanks for the helpful replies. :beer:

·
Registered
378 Posts
No problems with the welded rear for about three years now. Chirps a bit in a parking lot, but otherwise good.

I bet all of us at one point said " I am only running 33s and maybe 35s max in the future so I should be fine"

SURE. first time I've ever heard or said that!

Just wait.

·
Registered
897 Posts
might want to do a search on the aussie. I havent heard of one breaking yet, and I know there are a few running them with 38-40s. I think they have a decent waranty on them.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
chad dillon said:
If you're talking about a rear application, I'd reccomend ponying up for the real deal. Nothing against lunchboxers (I have a Lockrite in the front of my pile), but I'd rather have some more girth in the rear end as it sees constant use.

Just noticed............I said girth in the rear.
Correction, you said "girth in the rear as it sees constant use." :D

The aussie lockers comes with a two year warranty, where as the detroit doesn't. But as a rule of thumb, I don't put lunch box lockers in the rear of vehicles that are going to see a few street miles. If you are going to lock the rear, buy a replacement carrier like an ARB, Detroit, Spool, etc. Or just weld up the spiders.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
That's my oppinion. All of the lunch box lockers I've seen put in the rear of daily driver vehicles have broken after roughly 2 years of usage. I'd put a loc-rite style locker in the front end, because it won't be engaged all the time. Don't get me wrong, some people are running them in the rear, and have been for a while with good success. But for a rear locker, I'd either replace the carrier, or weld up the spiders. Just personal preferance.

·
Vendor
2,356 Posts
We have Aussie Lockers with over two years of service and still have had only one warranty replacement. And, our lockers are frequently run with larger tires (still under warranty we might add). We appreciate that everyone has their own opinion based on their experience with our competitors products, but felt that we should share the results of the Aussie Locker in rear installs over long periods of time.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
montezuma said:
That's my oppinion. All of the lunch box lockers I've seen put in the rear of daily driver vehicles have broken after roughly 2 years of usage.
I am willing to bet if you described the vehicles you have seen locker failures in the rear, you will start talking about Dana 35's from YJ's and XJ's... Am I correct?

When *I* have seen these kinds of lockers (Aussie, Lockright, etc.) fail after xx years of use, NOT from some catastrophic event, they have all been in axles that are notorious for housing flex issues... such as the 35.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
If you look at the numbers, Detroits just can't seem to take the shock loading caused by breaking a birf or inner. The Aussies appear to handle the stress a lot better. I have a Aussie in my front 4 cyl diff that has held up great to 2 busted Longs and a Superior 4340 inner.

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
Im4yotas said:
If you look at the numbers, Detroits just can't seem to take the shock loading caused by breaking a birf or inner. The Aussies appear to handle the stress a lot better. I have a Aussie in my front 4 cyl diff that has held up great to 2 busted Longs and a Superior 4340 inner.
i have to agree, my ez locker or whatever it's called helled up to 2 birf bombs where dads detroit let go when the first birf let go. i finally broke the dowl pin thingy's later and that's all i need to replace (the extras were in the box=free fix) pops detroit cost him a new one (i don't know how much it was , new install and i dont know if it was warrenteed)

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
DRM said:
I am willing to bet if you described the vehicles you have seen locker failures in the rear, you will start talking about Dana 35's from YJ's and XJ's... Am I correct?
Yes actually. In the back of YJ's. So your saying that housing flex leads to these things wearing out faster? Is this where you've seen these things not survive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts