Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to have been discussed before but for all the searches I have done I cant find it anywhere on the web. If there is some definitive thread somewhere please link me to it but if not I would like some clarification.
So the topic is auto 4x4 systems. I had a 2005 chevy (5.3/4L60E) with the 4x4 auto feature and it was great to have on a few occasions when i was confronted with some pretty bad snow or heavy rain on paved roads but didnt want to throw it in full on 4hi.
I'm looking into trucks now for this time next year when i trade up. In my research i found that ram also offers an auto 4x4 mode on some of their trucks, this was a surprise to me because i was uner the impression that only the GM trucks had this.
From what I have read about the rams 4x4 auto system (BW44-44 transfer case) they are less sturdy than their straight 4x4 equivilent (BW44-45) and have some issues with achieving a positive lock in 4hi/low. I never had this issue with my chevy, or any issue with the 4x4 for that matter, but then Im not sure what the differences are in the two systems design/construction.
What I would like to do here is compare the chevy and ram auto 4x4 systems to gain an understanding of how their different, how their similar, and the different applications each should and should not be used for. My ultimate goal is to make an informed decision as to weather i want to go with a 4x4 auto or just a straight 4x4.
Thanks for any info and/or opinions you might have, i will use this thread as a jumping off point for my own research.

·
blatant asshole
12,825 Posts
Your gm had a nv246, it monitered the drive shaft rpm front and rear independantly and once a given rpm variance was met it would use the shift motor to apply psi to the internal clutch pack for the front axle. The front axle would already be locked in just not recieving any power.

They were meh peices of shit and i repaied and replaced 100s of them. I would never buy a truck with one in it.

But then again i drive a 80s crew cab with a 205 in the mountains and snow and have not had a gear bind or control issue yet.

I am wholely unfamilar with the bw4444 but in the past they have used electro mag rings to activate the front axle. Most vechile built since 2000 use front wheel and rear diff vss for abs and speedo so its already to use those for the same purpose.

You didnt say what year dodge but it has to be fairly modern as per they used nv231/241/271 up untill 2012ish.

·
blatant asshole
12,825 Posts
But here you go. The first google result is a ram forum shitting all over it because its a clutch drive like the 246.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts