Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Damn kids
14,329 Posts
About 4-5 years ago I was replacing the leaky radiator when I unbolted what I though was a fitting for the transmission cooler. It turned out to be a fitting going to the condenser and it released in a nice green cloud of refrigerant.
If the system still had pressure I doubt anything fought its way uphill. Possibly you lost oil (the green fog) that was sitting at a low point without the system running.

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If the system still had pressure I doubt anything fought its way uphill. Possibly you lost oil (the green fog) that was sitting at a low point without the system running.
Pretty sure I released any and all pressure in the system with that particular move.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Ok, so I dumped what was left of a can of refrigerant I had in to it..maybe 6 oz.

Now, I have the compressor spinning, but I'm getting air that's 10 degrees hotter than ambient.

I also noticed that when I added the refrigerant (to the low side) the high and low sides are still running at the same pressure.

Is there a part that could have failed that would cause a "leak" between the high and low sides?
There are two things that cause this. A faulty compressor, especially variable scroll (ask a Ford 500 owner); or a faulty TXV/orifice tube. Something has force a pressure difference and something has to cause it via a restriction.

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just to update this...

Turned out to be a dead compressor AND apparently a bad intake sensor...or at least a bad connection on the sensor. When I was doing the self diagnostics above, I was seeing what I thought was 56 degrees on the screen...turns out it was error code 56 for the bad sensor. :homer:

But, when the old compressor came out, it would pretty much frees spool when turned by hand so it was definitely dead too...hence the equal pressures on both sides.

Now for the stupid part. I assumed the new compressor was pre-oiled and didn't add any oil too it. (In my defense, several of the ones available were oiled.) I haven't hooked up the clutch wire yet, so I'm safe, but I did put everything back together and recharged it.

My new question is, can I add oil to the high and/or low side lines? Or do I have to add is straight to the compressor? I have someone that can evacuate and recharge it for me, but I really don't want to have to pull the compressor again.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Just to update this...

Turned out to be a dead compressor AND apparently a bad intake sensor...or at least a bad connection on the sensor. When I was doing the self diagnostics above, I was seeing what I thought was 56 degrees on the screen...turns out it was error code 56 for the bad sensor. :homer:

But, when the old compressor came out, it would pretty much frees spool when turned by hand so it was definitely dead too...hence the equal pressures on both sides.

Now for the stupid part. I assumed the new compressor was pre-oiled and didn't add any oil too it. (In my defense, several of the ones available were oiled.) I haven't hooked up the clutch wire yet, so I'm safe, but I did put everything back together and recharged it.

My new question is, can I add oil to the high and/or low side lines? Or do I have to add is straight to the compressor? I have someone that can evacuate and recharge it for me, but I really don't want to have to pull the compressor again.
Put it in the compressor.

Any idea if that is a variable scroll compressor?

·
Window Licker
14,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Put it in the compressor.

Any idea if that is a variable scroll compressor?
Damnit...means I need to evac it again so I can pull the line and add oil. Was hoping to just let the guy that's going to evac/recharge it for me shoot the oil in at the same time.

There's a soft low pressure line that straight from the compressor to the condenser. Could I pull the line at the condenser and funnel the oil down that line? It would be the same as dumping it straight in the low pressure port on the compressor. That would keep me from having to pull the compressor, which is a complete pain in the ass.

Not a scroll. Specs say it's a piston pump.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts