Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post up your auto gearing ratios and what gears you use the most....

It seems like a lot of this years trial buggies and comp rigs are going to be using 'glides and atlas combos. Are you only using one gear or what? Low and hi for for climbs vs tights?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
I have a Turbo 400 with 4.3 atlas and 5.13 gears...I never need to take it out of first for anything that isn't sand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have TH350 into 3.0 Atlas with 6.72 gears. I have manual valve body, use 1st for crawling and 2nd for climbs and cutting brake turns.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i've got a 904 with a 3.8 atlas and 6.17's in the diff's, i've only ever had to pop to second once, but the motor rev's REALLY high too so that helps some ;)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i run a vortec 350, th400, atlas 3.8, and 4.56's with 42's and i am happy with my setup. i do every wheeling situation in 1st. i can crawl and have instand wheel speed by just stepping on the go-go pedal.

·
Registered
11,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else....thanks a ton guys. It is looking like with the right gearing and motor that you don't really need much other than first.

Is everyone running manual valve bodies?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I am going to run a C6 with the FRP low ratio kit (2.72 first), Atlas 4.3, 4.56 gears and 42 inch tires.

The low ratio kit, in addition to the steeper gears, replaces all the thrust washers in the transmission with torrington roller bearings and supposedly frees up some drag.

I think this will work pretty well.

I used to run a TF727 with a 2.45 first and the same atlas. With 4.88 gears and 36 inch tires, it was too low in first when I needed a bump to get over things. A manual valve body would have helped in that situation because starting in second gear would have been possible.

The C6 is getting an Art Carr reverse pattern manual offroad valve body. They build it with full compression braking in all forward gears, just like a manual tranny but with no clutch:D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
i dont compete but heres my setup...

amc 360 / tf727 w/ manual valve body / d300 / 4.56s / 38.5 TSL

·
Registered
29 Posts
StudNuts said:
i dont compete but heres my setup...

amc 360 / tf727 w/ manual valve body / d300 / 4.56s / 38.5 TSL
How do you like this setup? About to go the same route and would like to hear how it works for ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts