Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the newbie section and no one replied. Hoping you guys can help me with a link or something.
Today I got under my truck to find out what tranny it has in it. Its a
30-80LE/A340. It is taged 30-80LE but i have come to find out that its the same thing a A340 is. My tranny will NOT shift on its own. I have to up and down shift myself. If i leave it in 3rd it will stay in 3rd even if the truck is stoped. My truck is a 84 toyota that someone put on a IFS frame near as i can tell. It has a 22R carb motor thats blown.
I'm going to pick up another 22R and I hope to keep this tranny. Anyone know if its not shifting because its not pluged into any sort of computer? It shifts really firm and quick, if i'm shifting it myself. So my questions are
1. If i need a computer to get it to shift who makes a system to use for this tranny.
2. Any 22R will bolt up to the bell housing right?
3. How strong is this tranny? I only have 33s and don't really mud i just want something that holds up.
I would like to keep a auto. My Z28 is a 6 speed and i want something the wife can drive in the winter. She will not drive my Z because its a 6 speed.
Thanks for any info you may have.

This was some more info I found after i wrote this.

I swear i'm not getting any closer to understanding this truck then i was 30 hours of research ago. On this side http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_0207_case/
it says if I have 7 bolts in the Tcase its a gear drive and if I have 5 its chain.
Everything I read on the forums autos arn't used with the gear drives. it shifts from 2wd to 4wd on the driver side of the case if this helps at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mate take a quick look at the auto if it has 2 oil type pans then its the A340h chain driven tcase they are a realatively srong auto and with 33s will be fine if kept cool.
Maybe the TPS has been changed and this stuffs the shift pattern.
There should be a computer on the kick ppanel on either the drivers side or passenger side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it's a 22R, and not a 22RE, will it have a computer at all? My P/U is a 22R and has nothing resembling a computer of any kind, including MY brain when I'm in it. :D I've had people tell me, pro mechs mind you, that ALL vehicles after a certain year had comps in them, and O2 sensors, as well, and then spend several hours NOT locating the one in my truck. It's just a simple, carbed, Toyota 22R. No computer, no sensors of any kind, nothing. By the same token, it's a MT, so maybe I'm totally off base here. I don't know squat about AT Toy's, as I've been a huge fan of the MT, ever since I learned to drive on my dad's 57 Chevy P/U. Old beater truck, used to use to pull his Formula 1 car around when he was racing before he got married. I went through 2 set's of clutches in the poor thing....but I digress. My point is, I don't think there's a computer of any kind, and the AT should be a "stand alone" item. I may be totally wrong tho...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes it has a computer,later models are intregrated into the main efi computer as one unit. It sounds like its unplugged or missing,at the very least solenoids are 90% of all shifting problems with these tranny's. It is plenty strong enough,and i run 35's with a cooler and proper care not to overheat it. But many arent comfortable with an automatic off road, personal choice. I being an ex-toyota tech know these very well and believe they can handle most off roading without any problems. Almost all are chain driven transfer,any manual will have a shift lever like a manual tranny. Some later models and Austrailian have the a340f which had a manual transfer and gear reduction unit. A340H does not have a manual transfer from the factory available in usa tha t i know of,but hey since when do i know everything...:)
Hope this helps
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yeah, shoudl hold up to your needs. These are basically the same transmission as the AW4 found in Jeep cherokees behind the 4.0 liter. It is electronically shifted, so there shoudl be some kind of computer shifting it.

Got one in my 85 xtra cab behind a 22RE. Gettting ready to pull the motor and cab to put on my 83 frame. After 401k miles the trans still shifts well, although the bearings are getting pretty loud.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wish I could help

If you do get it figured out, let us know. I would love to have a manual valve body at the flick of a switch!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now you've totally lost me. How in the world can a 22R, a CARBED engine, have the tranny computer integrated into the EFI comp, when there IS NO EFI COMPUTER??? THERE ISN'T ANY FI TO BE E'd! I have a 22R Pickup. I know. There IS NO EFI comp in the thing. It's CARBED!
SO: Is there a seperate computer just for the tranny in a 22R system, or is the tranny a standalone item? Or did they put an EFI comp in that's not connected to anything just to operate the tranny? But I know for a fact, after crawling all over my p/u since '89, that there's no sort of computer anywhere in the silly thing. Much like my 15 y/o son, it's brainless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks alot for they feedback guys! It does have 2 pans. Tomorrow i'll trace the wires out to see if there is a computer missing. I will not be able to test anything else intill i find a new motor for it.
I'm going to take some more pics of the Tcase tomorrow. I know the 4wd works because i used it in the snow 1 time.(truck broke within weeks of me buying it) I need to find a shifter that will work with the Tcase i have. The shifter thats in it is ment for a diffrent type of Tcase maybe one that shifts from the top.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It may be a oddball having a computer controlled trans with a non computer controlled engine. I've seen Isuzu Trooper II's with A340H (30-80) with carbed engines. I have crawled around a few at the wreckers but have not been able to find the computer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Behind the passenger side kick panel I found: About 3 lbs of spider webs, about 4 lbs of dust, dirt and small pebbles, 30-40 deceased spiders and other misc bugs. 2 pennies and a nickle. A screw I had lost a few years back from a CB I had insalled and then removed later on. Several wires and plugs, all of which were in relatively good shape, and connected properly. A couple of relays, which clicked and clacked properly. I thought I saw a gopher make a dash for the open door, but with all the dust it was hard to say... :D

No ECU, though. I believe I've been robbed. I am launching an immediate investigation, and notifying the FBI and NSA, as well as considering sending a note to the dealer I got it from, demanding my ECU back. :grinpimp:

I'm sorry for being such a smart aleck. I shouldn't, I know, but sometimes I just can't help myself. :shaking:

Point being, A 22R p/u with an MT doesn't have an ECU in it. At least mine doesn't. And none of the sensors that it would feed from. No O2 sensor, knock sensor, there's only one wire from the temp sensor, and it goes to the guage. The wire from the oil pressure sensor only goes to the idiot light (aptly named in my case!). I don't know for sure about the ignition system, but I don't think it goes anywhere other than it's self for feedback need to run the system. And it runs great.
Has ever since I bought it back in 89 as my DD for work, which was a 100 mi round trip per day. in 120*F heat. Through thunderstorms so bad I could hardly see past the end of the hood, and dust storms so thick I had to stop since the viz was about 0 feet! Through butterfly, yes butterfly (!), swarms so thick you had to clean your radiator out once you got to work or you'd overheat on the way home. And through it all, both of my vehicles do that Energizer Bunny thing, and just keep going, and going...
I don't want to argue with a Toyota profession mechanic, I respect the heck out of you guys. I'm a Radar Techie on F-4 Phantoms jet fighters by trade, and when I first got my truck I knew diddly about auto mechanic stuff. As a mechanic, I made a darn fine radar tech. Luckily, at the time I was working at a place where we had both e-techs and auto mechanics of all sorts, as well as a LOT of free time, at nights and on weekends especially, as well as a wonderfull 2 bay garage with all the neat stuff they normally come with (aren't govenment operations wonderful??) and I learned by watching and doing. I've done just about everything on my truck except rebuild the entire engine, including 2 head replacements on my 4Runner now (it does have an ECU! :p ) and a clutch or two n both vehicles. But I can can state with absolute certainty that I do NOT have an ECU in the pickup. In the 4Runner, absolutely. I've checked the plugs on it a couple of times to make sure they're properly connected, clean, no corrosion buildup on the pins, no dust buildup in the ECU, and so on. But not in the p/u. I promise. I wouldn't lie to you! I worked for the Government, and I was there to help :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2Toyguy the rest of us are talking about a truck with a auto not a MT. Think that is where you got lost bro.

·
Registered
344 Posts
KevinE said:
2Toyguy the rest of us are talking about a truck with a auto not a MT. Think that is where you got lost bro.
Exaclty Kevin, carbed engines had an emission control ecu on all models back to 79-80 if memory serves me right, Calif were bigger more regs to pass, which is in the left drivers side kick panel upper area for 2 wheel drives,right kick panel for 4wheel drive carbed models..Obviously no ECU for the EFI it doens't have.
Any auto tranny with the id plate code "E" should have a computer controlled transmission in it even though it isnt 4 wheek drive,ie A340E 2wheel drive truck ,cressida,supra's had these. the H signifies 4 wheel drive transfer right hand exit,F signifies left hand exit out of tranny to axles ie. A340F has a manual transfer case and reduction unit with gears not chain driven automatic clutches like the A340H does. These were Austrailian or right hand drive vehicles i am told mostly and some later model USA 4runners and trucks.
If they swapped in an auto trans to a manual truck it will have to have the wiring from the auto vehicle and an ecu.
The auto ecu is in the console forward of the shifter,if its not there and there are no signs of connectors it was a manual truck. You will need a dash interior harness and the tranny harness to make this work.
I assumed from the original story that it had work but doesnt shift automatically, this as stated before is caused by either no ecu power, no ecu (as in missing..lol) , or solenoids in the tranny not working properly.
Start with checking power to ECU when you find it, then see that all connectors to the trans are connected, then after all that checks out ok and it still doesn't shift correctly pull the pan and change the 3 solenoids ,they are held in by valve body bolts so do one at a time, they are each different. Nothing else really goes wrong with these, outside of some poor o-rings from aftermarket tranny rebuilders ie., AAMCO etc..
Change the screen while your there or filter depending on the year.
I looked at the factory manual to locate the ECU's for you, so if you have any question just email me,if i can help you figure it out i will.

Gary

·
Registered
344 Posts
Correct depends on which front axle it is used with,but most i have seen were left hand,which then could be switched over to a right hand and a Marlin doubler unit to really get some gear reduction going. I love the options this gives for using all kinds of Lexus or Toyota engines in these trucks.This also saves on ring and pinions, adding strength by using the stock gears enables you better use of funds in areas like electric lockers , bigger tires and better axles to handle the extra torque.

Used "wisely" the a340 can handle a lot of power and is really pretty durable.
Working in dealer kinda makes it seem like a lot of problems occur on certain vehicles, when actually we just see those particular items in a dealer because a lot of independents don't have the knowledge, tools, and the fact that most is covered under warranty now a days.

2ToyGuy: If your tranny is and a340E-H-F and has wires coming from the tranny other than the nuetral switch, then it has to have an ecu to control the shifts.
The A40D or the A43DL didnt have any electric control,except an overdrive solenoid which was a switch on the shifter,and it had lockup convertor,but it was manual i believe.
Could be it was transplanted into your truck like i said before though , people do some weird stuff to toyotas.....

Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
No wires other than nuetral switch and backup lights. It's a manual. I, me, not an electronic brain control when and how I shift. For better or worse :laughing: And it's a 2WD. No transfers, nothing. Just me and my MT. And no ECU. But yes, that's where the confusion crept in. Everyone kept assuming I had an auto trans. I don't have the faintest idea what the number is, but it's just a simple, manual trans. No bells, whistles, or anything. And I got it from a dealer, who had sold it to a guy to pull his bike trailer, and then decided he wanted something bigger than the bike he was trying to tow. He didn't do anything to it, other than add a brushguard to teh front. Why? Not a firiggen clue. But there it is. Nice thing for my daughter to split her head open on while running round and round hte thing when she was about 3...ANyway, He traded it back in on another truck of some kind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GARY

tell me what you think your in the know I am haveing a bit of trubble with my 86 4-runner 4cy 4X4 auto. qickly was driving fine stoped truned it off ran in came out started it up put it into drive no go...... reverse no go...all othere gears no go.

you said that the solenoides are the trubble about 90% of the of the time; and I understand that there are three one for the converter clutch and the other two shift the grears.

Now I have been told that these solenoides get "CLOGGED" and that sometimes you have to pull them out and clean them; I have pulled the TCU (its in fornt of the shifter for thowes of you that have been searching for the holly grale) and nothing in the process of trying to find a good used one I was told that could be "IT" .

do you have any thoughts about this and any advise for me I know yor not looking at it and all but any thing you can tell me will be helpfull

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
gunbunny said:
do you have any thoughts about this and any advise for me I know yor not looking at it and all but any thing you can tell me will be helpfull

MAN does your spelling suck.

The solinoids can lock up from gunk, but they can also lose power if the wires are torn off. They run along the tranny to the firewall area, and can be ripped out when wheeling. If you have a few torn or shorted wires to the tranny, then you have found your problem.

of course, lack of ATF can also give you those symptoms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am sorry about the spelling ......I was half drunk and didn't have my glasses on LOL

BUt thanks for the info I will check that out; if the wires all look right what do I have to do to get to the solenoids are they internal or external

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you put into gear manually,ie, 1st,2nd,D,R, and it doesn't feel like it went into any gear with at least a slight thud or nudge or any change in RPM ,then you might be really low on fluid. Solenoids will only stop it from shifting automatically,not manually.
Check fluid level running on level ground first.
Then check your linkage adjustment for your shifter,they do come loose and often fall off when wheeling hard.
If those are okay then you have serious hydraulic pressure leaks internally, such as a bad pump,or o-rings have decided to roll up and start leaking so bad it won't engage any of the clutch packs or brakes as we call them. This is unlikely to happen to forward and reverse gears at the same time.
So my guess would be the torque convertor splines have stripped ,this gives you no drive to your input shaft but the pump works fine, you check this with pressure gauges and follow the manual,if pressure is within specs and she don't move ,you have a stripped convertor. Had this happen on My 85 cressida while driving on the freeway one nite,so yes it does happpen to everyone...lol :)

Hopes this helps
Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts