Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Runnin a Th350 with Dana 300. Want to order the shifter cant deside which one thinking the B & M Light Truck Mega anyone have this or another kind. ( Did a search alot of info just not any pro or cons on brand.) Want to order next day or so. Thanks for all info. Thanks Ken

P.S. Its in a CJ 7.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
For rockcrawling, I hate my B&M. I have the mega shifter.
The ratcheting is ok to live with, but I'd prefer not to have it... an easier pull back into 1st gear would be nice. Another problem is the reverse lockout setup. You can only shift to reverse from drive, & it's very easy to overshoot & hit park. If you're in neutral, you first have to shift into drive before you can goto reverse.

I plan on changing over to an Art Carr or comparable shifter as soon as extra funds are available.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Dont like the Lokar but if its my only choice might have to go with it. What is Art Carr set up going for. Found it on their web page but no price.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Art Carr was getting about $260 or so for them. Yeah, I had a Mega Shifter, too. When I shut down the rig that it was in, I just tossed it. Hated it.
Why not the Lokar? They're trick as hell. Before I tried the Mega, I had always run the Star shifters. They are dual gate: typical shifting pattern w/reverse lockout, or pull it all the way back and it becomes full ratchet race type. Just bang away! Just watch it so you don't get caught in it while in the rocks, it's a PITA to get out of when you're not thinking about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
shifter

Lokar is the best.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
for the 350 I ran a star shifter (B&M) and loved it....I switched to the mega once I put the 700 in and can't stand it.... if you like B&M get the star....

:usa:

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
ART CARR or B&M Street Bandit. Both are pricy but you get what you pay for. I've got one of each in my garage right now and they both rock for Rock Crawling. The Art Carr is the better of the two. Spend the extra cash and get it....you will NOT regret it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the Art Carr bolt flat on the floor. Thinkin of bolting it between the seats on the hump on the tub. Does it come complete or do you have to buy all the cables and brackets?

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I don't use the jeep personaly but I have driven my bro's jeep with a B&M and it takes a few trips to get used to it and then it's easy, and works great for crawling.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Personally I hate my B&M. A friend has a art carr, and it is worlds better. It is hard to justify throwing away a ~$150 shifter and buying a even pricier one though.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know how the Art Carr bolts to the floor? No info on the web page

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a few inches of it under the floor/mounting surface. Take a look at the Cheetah shifters in Summit, I believe they are similar. Gotta have a place for the gates and such.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
B&M Unimatic is cheap and has no lockouts. Works good for some guys I know.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Heavy Metal Toy said:
B&M Unimatic is cheap and has no lockouts. Works good for some guys I know.
Until you smack a soild object and the shifter slaps up into reverse and the rig goes sailing backwards over a cliff edge and lands on a bus full of preschoolers!! Christ, people, don't you think about these things??

:flipoff2: Shit, I have to sleep now.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looked at Jegs web page thinking on the Star Shifter. Looks like the art carr you have to cut out the body some really dont want to that. I might take a couple days lookin at others please keep the info coming. Having probs on which one only want to buy one the right one. thanks Ken

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Called art carr nice guys. They said you had to cut out a little floor board the size of the shifter thinkin of passin on that. Does anyone have a Art Carr and if so how much did you cut out?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I will be ditching my B&M and nabbing a stock shifter from like a Caprice or some other car... reverse lockout SUCKS!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I'll snap a pic of the Art Carr later tonight and post a pic but it looks as though it either has to be mounted in a console (like ours is) or the floor would have to be cut out. Every one I've ever seen hs been mounted in either a console or on the dash.

If you don't want to cut, seriously consider the Street Bandit. It is pricy but SWEET. I don't know why nobody else is mentioning it. Here's a pic:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts