Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 90 hardbody with an auto. If I put a manual in will I need to change the computer and wiring harness?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I dont think so. I know a few people that just did this. Another this week. You can swap ecus if you want. The harness is the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why are you getting rid of your auto? Is it in good working condition? If it mates to a z24 motor and depending how far away you are I may be interested in buying it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a 89 4x4 man. thats wrecked ,and a 91 4x2 auto with a bad auto. So I'm going to change the cab and motor. I'm trying to decide between changing the brackets for the clutch or buying one from jegs. I've got a z24 auto, but I don't know if its anygood( bought the truck at the junk yard).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got a z24 auto, but I don't know if its anygood( bought the truck at the junk yard).

Well if you're in AZ let me know, I would like to take it off your hands.:) They are not heavy usually, I could pay for shipping too if it;s not too expensive/ too much of a hassle for you .

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found the swap to be very easy and worth while. The manuals tend to have lower gears and less drag on the engine. If you have a donor vehicle you are golden.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a reminder, V6 and 4-cyl transmissions don't interchange. FYI.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm just finishing up my auto-manual swap over on nissan4wheelers.com:

http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/931602833/m/52110051241

I finally got to drive mine to work after several weeks of work on the swap and I'd have to say that its worth it. The gearing is sweet going from an auto to manual. You get low gears in the tranny and axles, best of both worlds. With crawler gears, and 5.14 axle gears, you end up with a 81.82:1 crawl ratio, which isnt too bad.

I am still running the auto ECU and everything seems to work OK except for the cruise control, which I need to trace out.. might have missed something there. I still have a few loose ends to tie up, but for the most part it complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts