Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to run a SB Chevy 350 in my CJ3B (1962 Model). I'm not opposed to using a standard tranny, but would like to learn what issues surround running a th350 tranny, and what it takes to overcome them. I'll be doing a lot of trail running but no professional calibur rockcrawling, but I do want some suspension (Not a 12" rear driveline if I can help it)... Also if I were to use a standard trans, wich one is the the one to go with? (I would like at least four gears)

I currently have the SB 350, t-20 transfer, and the center pumkin 44 rear end. I really don't want to cut the body if I don't have to, what's my options?- And I like to see pics.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
a ford 289/302 with the c4/d20 used to be a pretty short combo otherwise you are really pressing you luck

we had a cj5 with a 360/ 727/ D20 combo and the rear dive line could barely support a 3" lift think about a t-18/d20 or sm420/d20 combo anout as sh9ort as you can get

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had a ford v6/c4/18 in my soa flatfender with a less than 18" driveshaft. Worked fine but did use up u-joints. I've seen lots of chev v8/350/20 combos in them too. I had a buddy with a 401/th400/d20 in a long fender cj5 that was soa with 35s. It was his daily driver, too. The short driveshaft isn't such a big deal but make sure you have enough "slip-joint" length. 18 and offset rear can also help angles. :smokin:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I had a ford v6/c4/18 in my soa flatfender with a less than 18" driveshaft.
I was also going to mention a Ford v6/c4 combo. You could also do a GM v6/jeep a904 combo if you are set on using a GM motor. The nice thing about the GM v6 is that since it was meant to be in a FWD car the motor is shorter with the accessories on it than most RWD motors generally are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts