Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my yj out for a test drive and it feels almost like its "govern'd". so now im trying to figure out what im doing wrong, i just dropped the 4.3/4l60e in it. (it was a 5spd 4.2). the tires are 33's. now my question is: does this sound like just a gearing issue? the axles are stock right now and yes i do plan on replacing them. (just waitng for the play money to build back up again) the truck i took this motor out of had 4.11's in it and it did very well all thru the power band. but i was under the impression that the auto would compensate somewhat for shitty gearing. am i wrong? unfortunately most of my knowledge stops at the flywheel, but hey im learning as i go. any input?? :confused:

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
from what i know, most stock autos soak up power. and yes the 4.10's helped with raw power through various rpms. lesser gearing would let you cruise faster with less rpms. jiMMy

·
Registered
102 Posts
well i could prolly say yer prob is yer stock axles youll need to replace them with ohhh id say 2.5 rockwells i thnx thats what there called but i can say now yer prob is yer stock axles if u have stock axles on a yj theyll break when u take it out wheelin :) if u have any more Q's just post ill be happy to help!:blender:

·
Registered
668 Posts
The auto will compensate at really low speed, like when you are on the trail. The slipping torque converter "adds" to the crawl effect, like when you slip a clutch on a crappy geared manual (burn baby burn) .

I can see the auto sucking power at mid range speeds before the TC locks up. Less ratios to work with and you are less in contol. You state the vehicle the 4.3 came out of had 4.11's, I assume your Jeep has lesser gears? If so that is the main problem, but an auto will feel a little doggier anyway.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i knid of figured, i guess i just needed a confirmation. i guess i might as well shop for those axles sooner than later;) thanks guys for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts