Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to say I don't know a thing about automatic transmissions and whatever happened with mine last night has stumped a few others besides myself.

1) Pulled tranny to replace rear main
2) Drained tranny and coolers to get rid of old ATF
3) Reinstalled tranny, filled with fluid, topped off torque converter, etc.
4) Started motor and heard loud grinding
5) Pulled tranny to see that I bent the cover plate and it was rubbing on the flex plate (thin piece of metal that shields the bottom of the flex plate was bent)
6) Straightened out plate and reinstalled tranny by hand all the way to the motor to make sure the torque converter was seated properly (it was)
7) Started motor and no more grinding, plate clears fine now

Here's where the pooh hits....

Ran motor with Tranny in Park and Neutral for about 10-15 minutes. Heard a slight whine/chug from the front of the tranny but couldn't discern it from regular old noise the motor/exhaust makes at the time. All of the sudden the motor stalls with somewhat of a quiet squeal. Try to start it up and nothing, tries to crank but won't turn over. Let it cool for a minute or two and it cranks back up and dies. This time with the t-case in neutral it starts and I throw the tranny into Drive, things quiet up (this is when I realize there was that little whine/chug before), everything runs smooth. It will now start fine and sounds good. Engaging the tranny into drive spins everything (outputs on the t-case). I have not driven it yet because I'm confused as to what could be screwed.

The pump is working because the cooler lines are warm going out. The torque converter had to be seated correctly because I slid the tranny into it's final place by hand without using the bolts to force it. The tranny works and is spinning the t-case. The tranny/coolers were bone dry for about a week. This is where I'm stumped. Any ideas what it could have been???

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Which transmission?

Uh... all the electrics hooked back up OK? Just wondering if you have a late model transmission with a lockup torque convertor?

Tom :usa:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad. It's a TF 904 from a '94 Jeep wrangler 2.5. All the electronics are hooked back up correctly. It is a 3 speed and runs the factory lock out torque converter.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I'm guessing here.

When the tranny gets refilled what happens to the cooler and the lines?
They sit higher than the tranny itself so how do they get filled with fluid?
Will the air in them bleed out the tranny oil filler neck?

I suppose after filling it once you'd know how much fluid to put in.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R O said:
I'm guessing here.

When the tranny gets refilled what happens to the cooler and the lines?
They sit higher than the tranny itself so how do they get filled with fluid?
Will the air in them bleed out the tranny oil filler neck?

I suppose after filling it once you'd know how much fluid to put in.
The pump picks up the fluid and pushes it through the coolers. the air is pushed out the return line into the tranny and the tranny has an open vent.

I'm still lost. I'm thinking something got hot because everything was dry and oil wasn't getting slung around until I threw it into gear. Then it straightened out. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about so.....

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTT

Anyone???

I guess I'll just drive it for an hour and see what burns up :D

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The tranny does not circulate fluid when it is in Park, only in the other gears. You could have had something running dry for some time if you had the tranny in Park and running for sometime. You are suppose to fill the tranny with 4-6 quarts, start the motor and put it in Neutral and continue filling.

You have potential damage to the tranny. However the Chrysler autos are tough so it may run fine for years.

Joe

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey Bigdude give Rusty a call at Kyoffroad or E-mail him, he also runs a tranny shop in Lexington..
He might be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Might be nothing Bigdude, but pull the pan and look at your rear main. Just for grins and confidence that its not part of your seal replacement.

Mostly I say this since
If you spun a rear main bearing do to a lubrication issue with the rear main seal (I have seen that happen before) that would fit all of your descriptions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts