Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of my project and the mounting of my tranny/ transfer case has come up for discussion. Now, I'm an old manual tranny guy so my fellow club members have told me not to beef up the transfer case mounts to the frame because it could crack the housing of my T-400. I'm running a caddy big block and a Doubler and was going to build dual tranny/transfer case mounts but I want more info from others. Suggestions? Steve:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I've got a similar setup and what I'm going to do is a crossmember from frame rail to frame rail under the TH400 to NP203 adapter that is bolted directly to the frame. I am then going to use rubber bushings to isolate the adapter from the crossmember.

At the tcase, I'm still working out an idea but I'm going to have a crossmember there also.

You definately want some sort of support right at the end of the tranny and then something toward the second tcase. The TH400 definately won't enjoy 250lbs of weight hanging off the adapter:p

Lastly, due to the motor mount location on the BB Caddy, I am giving serious thoughs of having a crossmember RIGHT at the end of the engine right where the bellhousing mounts to the block. I am going to run my exhaust and see what I'm left with :p

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I ran a beefed, manual valve bodied 727 behind a mildly built 440 Chrysler bigblock in my Scout II. At the time, I was running a 205 behind a Dana 300 in a "cradle" that kept the 205 and 300 locked together as one T-case. It was mounted to the frame in 4 places with poly bushings. I was hard in it one day, grabbed 2nd, and ripped the transmission case right in half! What a mess.
Also keep in mind that should you break a motor mount during a high-torque situation(crawling), your tranny case is still toast.
This(see picture) is a bad idea! Unless, you can mount the engine solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about building a cradle that would mount under the T-400 and extend back under both the doubler and the 205? This would connect the driveline together then have just 1 heavy duty mount under the 203/205 combo. I'm thinking this would allow the entire driveline to flex,(roll), the torque all as one. As far as motor mounts go, I've seen others mount chain to the back of the heads, down to the frame, and use a turnbuckle to take out the slack. The small chain pieces could be a safety feature that would help out in the event of a motor mount failure. Comments?:idea:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
For one, that set up was Old School. I just did it because I was told it couldn't be done without a shaft between the two. There are much better(and lighter!) ways to obtain a lower gear choice!
I HAD a safety chain on the engine! 3/8 heat treated, in fact....TOAST! It ripped the factory engine mount and a chunk of frame right out of the rail! I had the safety chain mounted about 3 inches in front of the motor mount, it remoced about a 8" chunk of my frame. THAT is some decent torque! And now I am firing a 6 cylinder..... :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts