Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98TJ 4.0 with the 3spd auto, which was recently filled with water. I have heard of people extending the vent, does anyone here have any pics/info? I really don't want to have to change my tranny fluid every time I wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I extended the breather on my NV 3550, but I've read that you can't do it on the auto because of fitment reasons. Don't have any hands on experience with the auto though. If it is possible, I can try to answer any questions you might have about making the breather. Getting my hands to the breather was the biggest PITA for me.

Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of it being done, but it is supposed to be a seriuous PITA. I don't mind the work, after all it has to be better than changing the fluid every time you go through water. I suppose I should actually go have it flushed after every submersion since just draining won't empty the whole system. That would get expensive really fast!

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
The vent is inside the bellhousing near the top. The problem I see is you would have to cut a hole in the bellhousing to bring the vent tube out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
when i toasted my tranny after a water crossing, i had the shop that rebuilt it add a breather extension. you have to drop the tranny to do it with an auto. also found out that the clutch material or glue or something is waterbased and after 3 minutes of water starts to disentegrate. trust me, don't drive far after getting water in the tranny - it get's real expensive, real fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is there any way I can make this a weekend project and do this myself, or am I gonna have to take it to a transmission shop? It is my daily driver and I drive to and from trails, so I am left with no choice but to drive after a water crossing. I want to take care of this now, before I damage my tranny. How much did they charge you for the added breather? Any more suggestions?

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Philariasis ]

·
Registered
811 Posts
I wrote a shabby article years ago about relocating the vent on a TF727 ( which is pretty much identical vent wise to your 32rh thingy)

I did it while rebuilding hte tranny, total dissassembly.

you can remove the tranny from truck, remove converter and plumb it in with the trans still put together but it will involve drilling the bellhousing to do it this method, and its really a headache to get it to clear hte converter ( no room there)

on mine I screwed a threaded plug into the existing vent and drilled a new hole in teh top of the tranny case, added a brass nipple, and ran a hose to the glovebox.

the article is on SWB.COM I think,sorry I dont have a link handy, I do have some pictures of the process hanging around if you really need more of an idea how to do this, it isnt hard to figure out once your trans is apart.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I did mine the same way. There is less than 1/4" between the pump and the converter, so I dont see how you can put a fitting on there. I drilled and tapped my case right where the 2nd gear band goes. This seems to keep fluid from pukin out of the hose. I have pics too...somehwhere

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come on guys, show me some pix! I have worked on most every area on a vehicle EXCEPT an auto tranny. So any pics/writeups are appreciated.

·
Registered
811 Posts
yes, for sure locate the new hole over the kickdown band and not over the uncovered rotating stuff, or its hard to keep it from squirting fluid out!

mine puked some, so I added a loop to teh vent hose, and a $2 fuel filter on the end, problem solved

I cant find my pics, no longer does photopoint keep my p[ics for free, Ill try and find and scan them tomorow for you, but im telling you its simple, once you get it apart and look at it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can do it in a day easy. Pull tranny and drill a hole in the bellhousing. I would tap it put a bulkhead fitting in it but you could also just run a hose through the hole and RTV around it all quick and dirty style.

DUG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts