Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 xj with the auto....

shifting starts off good when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile or is cold.

but it will start to not shift back to low after coming to a stop, I can manually shift it.

Just started doing this, vehicle does not get abused, still low mileage considering age, full flush less than 6000 miles ago, down shifts at highway speeds to overdrive just fine.

Anyone experience this before?

Big Rich

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What tranny is it?? If you don't know, then just tell me what engine is in it, or PM me the last 8 of your vin#

AW4 I think.......

6cyl

TL202391

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Yep, its an AW4, but I wouldn't consider that mileage low;)

According to my records, you had 154K on it in March of 2007....what does it have now?? 170?? THats a lot of miles. Even a tranny as good as the aw4 is going to wear out eventually:(

Honestly, the AW4 is one of the best autos that we ever used...the only thing i can think of is maybe the wrong fluid was used when it was flushed, either that, or a valve body issue. Really, when I have an AW4 come in shifting funny, with that kind of mileage...I order a new one;)

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I'd check the easy stuff first. TPS effects downshift, and so does the throttle position cable. Speed sensor on the transmission also can effect downshift, but I would expect that to throw a code if it were bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would check the TPS first, if that doesn't fix it check out

www.AW4shifting.com

I have the same trans in my 4runner and it is a pain in the ass, it won't shift down to first some times and then skipps second sometimes etc. They are good transmissions though. Hope this helps fix your problem.

Josh

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
fixed your link...

dont know if BrettM is still making those or not, might send an e-mail and get lead time before buying one...
He is. He just posted a few days ago when someone was trying to contact him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts