Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Street Scout on the blacktop today and it has some tranny issues. It's a '70 Scout 800A with a 304 and a factory automatic. I think it's the early Borg Warner Auto but I don't know how to identify it. I know next to nothing about Automatics but I think by troubles are from my torque converter. When I fire up my truck it settles into a nice idle around the recomended 800rpm. When I shift it into gear it makes a loud bang and is off like a prom dress. When I stop the motor dies. The staling is Semi-intermitent but when it doesn't stall it idles slower and rough like it is under load and I have to stand on the brakes to keep it from rolling. I checked the fluid, it full but a litle dirty. So by my almost total lack of knowledge of automatic trannies I think either the tourque convertor is AFU and not disengageing, or the magical gnomes that control the tranny are pissed that I woke them up and are trying to get me to park the Scout again. Do either of these theories sound plausible? If it is the torque converter can I simply put in a new one and go about my business or does the tranny need something more expensive? If those Gnomes are out of line and I just beat them into submission? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I can't drive the Scout until this problem is resolved. Thanks a lot
Travis

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Before you go pulling the converter I would check the vacuum modulator and the vacuum lines to the tranny. If the modulator has never been changed I would start there.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks for the help I'll check out the vacuum modulator and try to get a line on a tourque convertor today. Thanks a lot
Travis

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I run the borg warner cast iron cruisomatic out of a late 60's mustang and it has the vacuum set up on it. I am not sure what tranny he has in the scout, But stock in 70 should run the vacuum, with manual kick down on it.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I agree the modulator is for shifting, mostly, but it helps control the valve body. I think if it is not in the vacuum part of the tranny I would next look at the valve body for a stuck valve or vane. I think he said it has sat for awhile. He may have some rust or dirt in it. If it was a converter I would think he would have the opposite problem. I maybe wrong, but I have never seen a converter go bad.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tranny seems to shift fine other then the fact it takes about 1/2 a mile to get into 3rd. I think that has more to do with the 3.07s and 33s then anything else. The truck did sit for a long time, howver I don't know why it was parked it could have been tranny trouble for all I know. Several people have suggested I check out the vacuum modulator and while I don't know what it is it sounds cheaper then a new tranny. I was worried the tranny might be oddball and impossible to find parts for but if AMC and Ford used them it shouldn't be too bad. I'll probably just keep throwing new parts at it until the Gnomes are appeased and get back to work. Thanks again.
Travis

·
Registered
418 Posts
i do not know for sure but if that tranny has a lock up torque converter that sounds like your problem, as far as shifting late if it has one the vacum modulator would be my first guess, if it is bad it will force the governor to shift it. if you need more help give me a shout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts