Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Toyota, 4.11 Truetracs front and rear, Marlin Trans & 4.7 T-Case, custom front & rear bumpers.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is for you old Toyota gurus out there we're needing your help.
I have a 1982 short wheelbase 4x4 pickup that my son and I are building for him that we are putting in a 22r motor, but we need to put in an automatic transmission, but we do not want a computer controlled trans, we have been looking for a Toyota auto but all we have found are computer controlled. Could you give us some ideas of some sort of tranny/trans that we could use?
P.S. the reason we are looking for an automatic trans is that my son has Cerebral Palsy that has partially affected his right side and he has a hard time with the clutch when on hills and shifting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know if Toyota had a non computer controlled transmission in their trucks. Maybe call Marlin Crawler's shop? Yotatech may have info too.

Or maybe find a donor truck and swap in a complete 22RE and the Auto trans. My wife had an 86 4Runner with it and it was trouble free for over 450K miles. It never even leaked. I say over 450K miles because it was still going when our son totaled the truck. I sold the engine and trans to a friend that put it in his truck.

Good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another option I have personally seen done by friends in 1st gen trucks is a V6 Buick and V6 Chevy swap. A coworker did the Buick swap back in the late 80's. Even had a blower on it.

I hope you post up your build with whatever you decide. I've never seen your situation covered before and it may inspire others. I saw a hand throttle on the shift lever for people that had trouble with the clutch and gas on hills. Where there's a will, there's a way. Sounds like you're determined.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's mind boggling to me that people who can't do a simple Google search think they have the skills to work on cars. It took less than 5 seconds to find everything to do a 22r with a gm auto conversion. This is clearly beyond your skills, find something with a automatic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts