Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redoing the dash on my truggy and I'm shopping for some gauges and came across the Autometer Marine Gauges on ebay at a very reasonable cost. Is anyone running Autometer Marine Gauges? Aside from the tach only going to 6k, which I don't feel will be an issue on my 22re, would there be any problem running these gauges in a truggy?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason not to at all.
That was my thought but after searching I haven't seen anyone else running them.....maybe I didn't search well enough though. They are cheaper, would be more weather resistant than the standard auto gauges and would be a better choice in buggy and truggys IMO

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I really dont see the need unless they are that much cheaper. My regular Autometer gauges have held up great over the last 2 years. And being on the east coast, they see alot of rain, mud, and pressure washing. They even held up to the 8 hours of rain and mud at Parker!

So, go for it.

Rob

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much more is there to add?
It would be nice to hear from someone that has run them.....I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars in gauges if they are not durable.

I really dont see the need unless they are that much cheaper. My regular Autometer gauges have held up great over the last 2 years. And being on the east coast, they see alot of rain, mud, and pressure washing. They even held up to the 8 hours of rain and mud at Parker!

So, go for it.

Rob
The savings is pretty significant IMO but that is not the only reason that I'm considering them. I would be putting these into a open rig and I'm hoping that the marine gauges don't fog up (I do not want to run the liquid filled gauges).

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bought these for my build, but my build isnt done yet so i dont have any real tech to add. Gauges look like every other autometer gauge i have used in the past, just seal up a little more to help keep moisture out. If it would help, i can snap some pics of the back side tomorrow so everyone can see the difference.

Also, just wanted to point out that they do off the 3"3/8 Tach that goes to 8K incase anyone else is looking.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought these for my build, but my build isnt done yet so i dont have any real tech to add. Gauges look like every other autometer gauge i have used in the past, just seal up a little more to help keep moisture out. If it would help, i can snap some pics of the back side tomorrow so everyone can see the difference.

Also, just wanted to point out that they do off the 3"3/8 Tach that goes to 8K incase anyone else is looking.
Thanks for the input! I will order mine this week

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The savings is pretty significant IMO but that is not the only reason that I'm considering them. I would be putting these into a open rig and I'm hoping that the marine gauges don't fog up (I do not want to run the liquid filled gauges).
Paint some clear nail polish around the edges of the face of your guage and they won't fog up.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
i say run them. i have some phantom ones and the only thing that bugs me about them is that the needles havce faded in the sun. this is in my open top fj40 that really hasnt seen that much sun lol

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
My plan is to run marine gauges, after owning a boat I know there is a difference. Most parts are corrosion resistant i.e. SS components and internally sealed circuitry with silicone. Knowing that my rig will be out in the weather at times plus washed off, they will be the gauges of my choice.

Other gauges are not designed for out door applications IMO.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paint some clear nail polish around the edges of the face of your guage and they won't fog up.

J. J.
That is a great tip, thanks!

i say run them. i have some phantom ones and the only thing that bugs me about them is that the needles havce faded in the sun. this is in my open top fj40 that really hasnt seen that much sun lol
Are you running the Phantom auto gauges or the white marine gauges?

My plan is to run marine gauges, after owning a boat I know there is a difference. Most parts are corrosion resistant i.e. SS components and internally sealed circuitry with silicone. Knowing that my rig will be out in the weather at times plus washed off, they will be the gauges of my choice.

Other gauges are not designed for out door applications IMO.
Ya, the steel parts are replaced with alum or plastic according to the ad.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know which sending units will work with marine gauges? Will the standard automotive senders be okay with the water and oil gauges or do they require the marine senders?

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I know Charlie Melchner has run the Marine guages with good results, one of my questions has been can you still change the Tach configuartion?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know Charlie Melchner has run the Marine guages with good results, one of my questions has been can you still change the Tach configuartion?

Geoff
x2, and does anyone know about the senders? I know I have used other brand senders with autometer and it has worked fine but is there anything special about the marine gauges that would prevent them from working with the standard auto senders?

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts

Geoff
Why do you need a tach and how can you be watching that while driving like a mad man mashing bugs?

I never had any need for one, just listen to the engine with my ears is fine for me but I'm not running an engine that's built to the degree it'll self implode if going upstairs too far. Just sayin...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got my Guages and Sending Units from CPPerformance. I believe they are standard Autometer sending units, but you could run the parts #s to be sure. Here is a link to the sending units i ordered with mine.

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-524-senders.aspx

I used the oil, water, and oil pressure. So far, everything work on the buggy as it should. I choose to run the Tach too....but i have a Honda buggy and i figure it would be a requirement to have one:D I got the tach that runs up to 8K RPM.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Back up, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some of the auto meter marine series. Any more opinions on them?

·
Registered
328 Posts
> Will the standard automotive senders be okay with the water and oil gauges or do they require the marine senders?

Yes, except for the reverse rotation on some engines many marine engines are Chrysler and Ford (Chevy on the smaller boats) engines, so, they will work fine. You hook the tach up to the coil like you would on a truck. Fuel sending units are the only ones that require you to do homework on OHMs and match it to your sender.

When buying marine parts I like to buy mine from West Marine. You can order on-line and from the catalog. Plus, they sell excellent wire and cable and can crimp the endson the bigger stuff for you.

I would watch out and be cautious about buying counterfeit parts on E-Bay that were much cheaper then normal and sold in large numbers by a new seller. fwiw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts