Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tow rig is a gas hog, and has a tiny 21 gallon factory tank. The single tank range is pretty poor. I've found a factory 26 gallon aux. tank, but I want more.

What I'd like is about 100 gallons in the bed. It doesn't need to be fancy, but I would prefer aluminum. What inexpensive ($200-$300) options are out there? I've searched around and most are pretty expensive.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Another option would be to put an auxillary tank in the bed like you see on contractor's or farmer's trucks. It's not plumbed into the stock tank but does have a transfer pump on it. You would have to pull over somewhere and top off your vechiles tank with the fuel out of the in-bed tank, though.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
This is what I did.....

Get one of those cheap tanks. Then get one of those cheap electric fuel pumps ($13 or so) from a parts store and plum it in to the factory tank/wire it up to a switch. When you get low on fuel just flip the swith and it will fill up the factory tank. You can do this driving down the road.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Re: This is what I did.....

KS Toy said:
Get one of those cheap tanks. Then get one of those cheap electric fuel pumps ($13 or so) from a parts store and plum it in to the factory tank/wire it up to a switch. When you get low on fuel just flip the swith and it will fill up the factory tank. You can do this driving down the road.
Some farmers put those in, then run a gravity fed hose from the bed tank to their regular tank.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: This is what I did.....

KS Toy said:
I have thought about doing exactly that. My problem is I'd need to do it so often, I might forget to shut it off one time, that would suck. I suppose I could wire in a buzzer so that while the tank pump was running, I wouldn't forget it was on. :D A few weeks ago, in my searching the 'net, I found a setup that would automatically do this for you though, it was cool, but it wasn't cheap.

Also, I ran across a few transfer tanks that claimed they weren't legal as the vehicle's fuel tank. It seems you could easily weld in a bung or pick-up and make it a fuel tank (instead of just a transfer tank), but why wouldn't this be DOT approved, like I really care though. Just curious.

More info, I currently have a vinyl bed cover, I'd like a tank that fits under that. And obviously, I don't tow a fifth wheel trailer, just a tag along, so no space concerns there.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I wish someone would post a tech article on this...

I would like an aux fuel box in the bed... but I don't want a gravity feed. I don't want to have to stop and pump fuel into my main tank... I dont' want to spend a gazzillion dollars on the systems I've found so far.

There's got to be an economical way to put a fuel box in the rear and have a way to pump fuel from the box to your main tank, when you want, without dangerous parameters.

I obviously don't know chit about fuel system delivery... so someone step-up and help a brutha-out with an idiot's guide to auxillary fuel setups :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have always used Transfer Flow products and they are well worth the money. The main reason most homemade fuel systems are not legal has to do with emissions. If you do not upgrade the factory emission fuel system then you are in violation of DOT standards. Basically you must upgrade the capacity of your charcoal canister for the additional fuel.

I have never built a homemade system but it seems like a simple task to me. Mount a holding tank in the bed. Attach an external fuel pump and plumb it into the filler neck of the truck. Transfer flow will even sell you the filler neck seperate of their system.

Next tap into the fuel sending unit and record a resistance reading at 1/4 tank and full. Create a relay system that kicks the transfer pump on at 1/4 tank and back off at full. Then you would have a fully automated system. I would probably install a master cutoff switch in the cab for saftey as well as a light to tell me when the transfer pump was on. If you pay attention to your factory gas guage it would basically tell you everything you need to know.

In short this is all the Transfer Flow systems do. They use a microprocessor to moitor fuel levels but your could create a similar system useing relays and resistance switches.

If you plumb into the master tank you do not have to worry about additional emission upgrades becuase you are not increasing the capacity of the main tank just filling it with the secondary tank. It's like stopping at the gas station without actually stopping.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hate the idea of losing bed length. I was thinking about a fuel cell in place of the spare. Summit has a few different fuel cells to choose from, as big as 33 gallons.
anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
in my trucks case, there are some companies that sell 55 gallon tanks that replace my current 26 gallon tank. (extended cab truck)

Only thing I don't like about that, at least on chrysler products, they put the fuel tank on same side as everything else thats heavy. So, your adding another 200+lbs of weight to that side of the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Re: Re: This is what I did.....

Travis Waldher said:

Some farmers put those in, then run a gravity fed hose from the bed tank to their regular tank.
I did this with my Dodge diesel. Just Tee'd into the filler hose with a 3/8 line. Installed a tank selector switch out of an old chevy pu. Then let gravity do the rest. Having an extra 65 gal was sweet!

The cool thing was if I ever forgot it, it would not leak, even over night.

beerman

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I'm going cross-eyed searching the web for information on resistors, switches, and relays:zzz:

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
robobx said:
I hate the idea of losing bed length. I was thinking about a fuel cell in place of the spare. Summit has a few different fuel cells to choose from, as big as 33 gallons.

Thanks
Rob
For what type truck?

·
Registered
279 Posts
03 cummins HO lwb,qc,4x4

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
robobx said:

Thanks
Rob
Just get another factory fuel tank that fits in the frame and put it under there. It will much less then a fuel cell.

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
KS Toy said:

Just get another factory fuel tank that fits in the frame and put it under there. It will much less then a fuel cell.
I was gonna say, my dad's 98 looks like it has a huge space on the other side of the stock tank. I thought another one would pop right in there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had been thinking about another factory tank from something else to put where the spare sits. Like a TJ tank, would fit nicely, i think. but it's not worth the hassle for 19 gallons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts