Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about the kits?
I might have a line on one.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I cant say for sure, but I *think* they are set up to mount to the factory rear, front side, spring hanger. If you have modified yours or want more WB, you would probably end up modifying it to the point where you might as well fab your own. Unless you are getting it way cheap, I would say just build your own setup. I think they are pretty pricy. I think they made them in 2 different lengths too for LCs.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've got a buddy who got the kit...his uses your existing solid spring mount to bolt in a swinging mount for the leafs...he didn't like it and ended up modifying it to permanently clamp the leaves in place...

Mike Knorr, his Jeep has a writeup somewhere on the results and changes.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is designed to use the stock mounts. Actually you can easily go back to stock.

I would not use it on my rig. I am too modified.

I thought someone who knew about the kit and was interested might want it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Avalanche 1/4 Elliptic Kit

I bought one of the first Avalanche 1/4 elliptic kits for my 1977 Land Cruiser. I first contacted Jeff Beach to have him make me a kit but he wanted my truck in California and 5k to do it. Yeah right! I waited about a year for Avalanche to release their kit. They made new spring brackets for me as I cut mine off when I boxed the frame. I didn't like their setup and totally redesigned it to suit my needs at the time. The kit originally had the springs on the outside of the frame (not the way to do it) with the lower links just inside the frame and the upper links inside the lower links. I changed almost everything. I moved the springs inboard under the frame rails. The lower links were moved outboard of the frame and the upper links stayed in their original configuration. I tack welded and checked and cut and tacked again everything myself numerous times. Not for the faint of heart. An older gentleman I know did the final welding for me. We did not MIG it. We stick welded everything with his welding truck. He worked on the Alaska Pipeline and knows his stuff. He pulled up to the garage and 2 days later it was done. The only problem with the kit was that space was at a minimum and I didn't have an easy time mounting the shocks. They were mounted to the axle facing backwards to the rear most crossmember. The cant was too much and they weren't affective at contolling the dampning of the axle. This made it harsh on the street. Offroad it was AWESOME. I did not use bumpstops on it and I never had any binding or the links hitting the frame. The springs would drop completely away from the frame. You can see pictures of it at: www.rockcrawler.com

Go to: Readers Rides, State: West Virginia, Last Name: Matteo

The pictures show about half of the movement possible. You can just make out the dual limiting straps in the middle of the axle. They are still at their static position and haven't moved yet. 40" of articulation or maybe more are possible I believe. My truck doesn't have the kit in it anymore. I have lower it with 2" and 4" Skyjacker springs. The pictures show 8" of lift and 33" BFG's.

The kit is just laying in the garage rusting now. After I cut it out from under the truck my welder almost cried when I told him what I did to it.
swon

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Avalanche 1/4 Elliptic Kit

swon said:
I bought one of the first Avalanche 1/4 elliptic kits for my 1977 Land Cruiser. I first contacted Jeff Beach to have him make me a kit but he wanted my truck in California and 5k to do it. Yeah right! I waited about a year for Avalanche to release their kit. They made new spring brackets for me as I cut mine off when I boxed the frame. I didn't like their setup and totally redesigned it to suit my needs at the time. The kit originally had the springs on the outside of the frame (not the way to do it) with the lower links just inside the frame and the upper links inside the lower links. I changed almost everything. I moved the springs inboard under the frame rails. The lower links were moved outboard of the frame and the upper links stayed in their original configuration. I tack welded and checked and cut and tacked again everything myself numerous times. Not for the faint of heart. An older gentleman I know did the final welding for me. We did not MIG it. We stick welded everything with his welding truck. He worked on the Alaska Pipeline and knows his stuff. He pulled up to the garage and 2 days later it was done. The only problem with the kit was that space was at a minimum and I didn't have an easy time mounting the shocks. They were mounted to the axle facing backwards to the rear most crossmember. The cant was too much and they weren't affective at contolling the dampning of the axle. This made it harsh on the street. Offroad it was AWESOME. I did not use bumpstops on it and I never had any binding or the links hitting the frame. The springs would drop completely away from the frame. You can see pictures of it at: www.rockcrawler.com

Go to: Readers Rides, State: West Virginia, Last Name: Matteo

The pictures show about half of the movement possible. You can just make out the dual limiting straps in the middle of the axle. They are still at their static position and haven't moved yet. 40" of articulation or maybe more are possible I believe. My truck doesn't have the kit in it anymore. I have lower it with 2" and 4" Skyjacker springs. The pictures show 8" of lift and 33" BFG's.

The kit is just laying in the garage rusting now. After I cut it out from under the truck my welder almost cried when I told him what I did to it.
swon

Bummer,
Sounds like the kit worked very well for you off road.
Why did you remove it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
They changed the lift laws in West Virginia. Any suspension that wasn't stock on the vehicle is now illegal to run on the street. I ran it for a year before I had to remove it. The Inspection Station wouldn't put a new sticker on it for me. If you do anything to your vehicle here now you need to have it inspected and if it passes they'll put on a Modified Vehicle inpection sticker for you. The crazy thing is that I took the 1/4 Elliptic kit off to make in legal and get a modified sticker. I ran a modified sticker when I had they Avalanche kit. Legal and straight up. Now I have no patience for the whole mess. I just buy a regular sticker every year for it. I have never been stopped by the police.
swon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts