Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing an AX-15 to AW-4 swap. All I know about the donor tranny is that it has about 150K miles and came out of a wreck. I plan to pull the pan, replace the front and rear seals, and maybe flush the torque convertor. Are there any other items I should check our or replace as a mater of course? I've never worked on an AW-4 before but have auto tranny experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on the year of the AW4, you could run into matching problems with your T-Case... Also, '98 and newer AW4s have dual speed sensors, which work with TJs much better when it comes to wiring the Trans up. What are you swapping it into and what year is the trans??

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm putting it into an 85XJ that has been swapped over to a 4.7L stroker w/complete 1988 wiring harness and computer. It currently has an AX-15 and a NP-231. I have built a NP231 with the different input shaft and put a homebrew SYE on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tom Houston said:
I'm putting it into an 85XJ that has been swapped over to a 4.7L stroker w/complete 1988 wiring harness and computer.
The '98 and up trans may not be the ticket then. Try and find a '90 - '96 AW4. Single speed sensor. Wiring will be more compatible with your '88 engine harness...

Tom Houston said:
I have built a NP231 with the different input shaft and put a homebrew SYE on it.
This means you probably have the 23 spline input shaft for the NP-231. You will definitely want to go to a '90 or newer AW4 for sure since '90 (mid year) they switched from 21 spline to 23 spline output shafts (probably why you put a different shaft on the '85 T-Case to accomidate the AX-15).

HTHAL

·
Registered
20 Posts
The list of parts that didn't come with the two AW4s I purchased as well as the one a buddy purchased that you may need to dig up separetly:

Shifter Cable
Kick Down Cable
Shifter Cable Bracket
TCU (Transmission Control Unit)
TCU Plug w/ at least 8-12 inches of wire
Trans Cooler Lines
Trans Cooler
Tran Mount
Line Kits
Plug Kit
Flexplate
Spacers (thin metal sheet between engine and trans)
... and there are probably a few others I am missing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JeepNut22, I've pretty much got all that stuff. What I'm really interested in has to do with the internals of the tranny. While I have it on the bench, are there any common things to check for/replace based on the AW-4's track record.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts