Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while in the middle of my rebuild #1 piston was found on the floor and of course did not survive unharmed. one of the piston skirts broke off.
can you replace just one piston (dumb question but i have always used the old ones or upgraded never "lost" one before)? or do you have to replace the whole friggen set? Its a stock 1990 amc 360 so do i have to use (yes i know it is a stupi question) the #1 piston (using rod and all) from another 360 or any
year matter?
this sucks
and i lost one of those head locating thigies and have no clue what to call them when i go to the part store tomorow.
help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah you can replace one piston, if you can find just one piston. But if you are thinking new piston...I doubt anyone would sell one piston.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
head locator thingie? what, your shoulders? you neck? :flipoff2:

have you tried calling PAW or another big supplier like that? how about some of your local engine shops?

side note... still got that water pump for sale?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Those pins are usually called head-dowels, or head-locating dowels.

And you can buy just a single piston; in a worst-case scenario, a restoration place like Kanter's would have one, but ideally it would be the same make and model as the other seven.

Balancing would be highly recommended.

·
Registered
730 Posts
the machine shop took care of it for me but i had to have 3 new pistons and they were forged 401 pistons and they had no problems getting 3 so i would thank you could get 1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts