Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cherokee based buggy with an AX-15 behind a 4.0. Gearing pretty much sucks-final is 85 to 1. I am running an AX-15, Atlas 4.3, 4.56 gearing, and 37" trepadors. I have a ford 9" rear end with a currie high 9 so i can't lower my gearing with out braking the ring gear-gone thru two sets of 4.65 ring gears under extreme conditionings. The correct fix would be an atlas 6.0and a mega high 9 with 5.13's but my wife will kill me-$4000ish.

I think I can solve my gearing issues by adding an AW4 in place of the AX-15. What do I need to make this happen-computers, sensors, ect. I know Richard G. is running an AW4 but I think that motor was already set up that way.

This is not an auto vrs. manual debate just a question on how to make this tranny swap happen.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I believe the Renix based AW4's have a stand alone TCU. You will also need the auto TPS. But the Renix AW4 is 21 spline so don't use it, just the computer.

Oh and an auto does not solve gearing issues only gears do that. They just allow you to get away with more. Put a big cooler on it.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Even the HO 4.0s had a seperate computer, there really isnt much to it. I dont have a schematic for it, but im sure you could find one without too much looking.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Even the HO 4.0s had a seperate computer, there really isnt much to it. I dont have a schematic for it, but im sure you could find one without too much looking.
It may be the OBDII's then. I can't exactly remember. At least he knows what to search for.:D

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
I believe the Renix based AW4's have a stand alone TCU. You will also need the auto TPS. But the Renix AW4 is 21 spline so don't use it, just the computer.

TCU is stand alone, but you need the auto harness to go with it, I do believe.

And only 87-89.5ish AW4s were 21 spline. Not all renix.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this is a hardcore buggy why not just run a manual shift control setup.
Do you feel you need the automatic shifting of the TCM?
i have no problem with a manual shift control- i would actually prefer that. Can i just bolt up an AW4 and go wheeling with out any wire modifications? if so i think i will go that route.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
the 32RH is shorter than either the AX15 or AW4. You could probably do a doubler and be close to the same length. First gear in the 32RH is 2.74, AW4 is 2.80.

Either auto would put you around 54:1. That is not bad for an auto. For more technical stuff 60:1 or more is better. Either way, 54:1 with an auto is WAY better than 75:1 with a manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts