Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start this thread, cause I dont think anyone has done this yet. :flipoff2:

I am swapping the tranny in place of the ax-15 and using the controller that BrettM sells here on the board. The wiring of the controller is a breeze, but the existing wires that route from the YJ harness need some attention. I can tell there is 12v coming to the old plug that the reverse switch attached to, but there are four prongs on this connector and I was hoping someone could learn me what those four wires are. I plan to discover their designation and share if noone has it, but in the mix of all the excitement in the jeep section this week, maybe someone has some tech. :confused:

The transmission is a direct bolt on, but the electronics are the hard part to adapt. All of the articles on the internet, (Stu-offroad and the Bassets) are folks adapting the full on computers from a TJ. I am bypassing the computers, and I am swapping it behind a 4.2, which when finished and successful, may be a great swap for CJ's too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The AW-4 requires a transmission control module.. that may be all you need. I'd check into this more.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knoxville said:
The AW-4 requires a transmission control module.. that may be all you need. I'd check into this more.

This has no bearing on this swap, as it seems I am pioneering the install of an aw4 into a YJ with no factory computer.

Standalone Computer Controller

The electronics on the tranny are handled, it is the harness in the YJ that needs attention.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grapehead said:
so then why are "the electronics the hard part to adapt"?

brettM's deal takes care of all that.

So you have done it. Share please.

Or read and see that I am working out the kinks of the factory YJ electronics. :mad3:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
maybe its your speed sensor wires and you havent gotten the t-case on yet?

where did these wires plug into the AX-15? i have stared at my ax-15 in my cherokee for a little bit and cant see any wires that dont go to the CPS/VSS.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
maybe its your speed sensor wires and you havent gotten the t-case on yet?
NOPE (edit: I mean that is not the problem as the tcase is in and connected)

On your ax-15, look on the pass side, 2/3's of the way back. That is the sensor and the wires start there. The wires goes to the firewall, but stay outside the vehicle and a connector with four pins is located right near the solenoid on the firewall. That connector goes into the YJ harness. It is not computer controlled, just an open circuit at this point on my rig, with no connector to match it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
here is the schematic for the YJ:

bottom half of the schematic shows the plug on the YJ harness that effects the ignition if left open

Now I am going to go out the garage and see if it works :idea:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did the swap a few months ago into a TJ....I know I know not the same thing but if you have any question you think I could help on please ask....

Biff

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
biffstephens said:
I did the swap a few months ago into a TJ....I know I know not the same thing but if you have any question you think I could help on please ask....

Biff
Thanks biff, I want to know if you removed the part of the harness in your TJ like the Stu write up?

HERE

I suspect this is the same goal that I am trying to accomplish here, but let me know if you played with leaving this in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did not....I will ask the friend of mine that did the pulling part of the job but he was really excited and it was out in no time....I was the only one reading the web site and I did not tell him.....I can tell you that I don't have reverse lights.....but I am not sure what the range sensor does or why I would need it.....it has been running fine and driving well since we put it in....

Biff

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Happy to report that I fawking did it.

jumped the two wires that left an open loop in the schematic:

I will go in and find the reverse light wires from the aw4 schematics in the stu install and should have reverse lights too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is running great. I have a temporary *cough* wire nut *cough* holding the two black wires together to close the loop and allow the ignition to do its job. As far as the controller, I like it. I have to get used to the powerband and the RPM's cause the jeep used to run between 900 and 2500, but now I have it up near 1500 to 3500 as I get used to the gear changing and I CHUG the gas. Need to work on that, but it is just operator error. Check some pics from the trail usage this last weekend.

Spanked carnage canyon, meatgrinder and extra credit. Hardly got to use the sliders, let alone the new cage and grill guard. I cant wait for a real shakedown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to take on the same project .. Did you use the TCU ? if so can you give me some more info on how you delt with the info it wants from the PCU that we dont have in a YJ ( mine is a 87)

or if you used the AW shift kit do you need the TCU ?

Thanks for any and all help with this project

Rick

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had an AW4 running behind an AMC v-8 for a while with the factory TCU. Most of the wiring is just powers and grounds if you snag a factory harness, which is very integrated to the engine harness.

A TPS will need to be hooked up, on mine (Holley Commander 950 EFI) I used a dual row TPS from a 4.0 XJ and flipped wires until the voltage sweeps went the right way. When it was carbureted (this is way ghetto) I zip tied the TPS at about 1/3 throttle and put a toggle switch to simulate full throttle on the TPS circuit when it was time to make noise. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I might stay with the carb , as I dont have EFI and I think it would be to much of a pain to install .

Could I connect a TPS to a carb ?

or wouold it be better to get an aftermarket EFI to use ?

As I understand it I need a TPS feed , Break light feed(to unlock to TC)

is there anything else I need to connect to the 87 YJ to make it run other the +12 volts and ground ?

Thanks for all your help in this matter !

Rick

·
Registered
979 Posts
Considering the price of EFI, if you don't need it to complete your local trails or for drivability issues, there's no need to get it just for the transmission. It's not too hard to rig up a TPS somewhere on a carb'd vehicle. If not on the carb, maybe somewhere on the cable with a cable clamp moving the TPS lever or something...

Other than that, yes it needs a brake switch input and some other minor stuff, just get a pinout diagram for the TCU and start soldering.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to take on the same project .. Did you use the TCU ? if so can you give me some more info on how you delt with the info it wants from the PCU that we dont have in a YJ ( mine is a 87)

or if you used the AW shift kit do you need the TCU ?

Thanks for any and all help with this project

Rick
I did not use a TCU at all. The AWshifter is a standalone controller. I do not have automatic shifting, just manual control of the auto transmission.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts