Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had a vision, maybe a nightmare. But here goes,what if you connect the wires coming from your trans gear selector switch which is part of the XJ neutral safety switch to the AW4 solenoids. Since the TCM has to know what gear the floor shifter is in then it should be possible to use those wires to shift the trans. overiding the TCM, and if wired through a switch it would allow you to get overdrive by killing power to the solenoids aka 4th gear.
I'm sure it would work but not sure of the wiring since I sold my XJ to my son.
I'm sure there is someone out there that can figure this out. Of course this would require shifting the floor shifter for each gear.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Free Mod.

More thoughts, I know everyone is always looking for a way around the TCM control, I think this is a way to do this on a low budget. It isn't the same as any of my control units and might not be as easy to wire or have all the cool features,

"BUT IT'S FREE" :smokin: just giving back a little.

For the 1-2 position it would be wired for 1st, D wired for 2nd, OD for 3rd, 4th would require a switch to kill the power to solenoids. Really how often do we need OD, really. OK, OK not free if you want 4th you need to buy a $5 switch at NAPA.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
343 Posts
We did that exact setup and it works great! Used the range selector switch (NSS) to trigger the relays that activate the solenoids. You still need one extra switch to trigger 4th gear. The rest of the gears are selected via the shifter position.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nope not like that at all. I said cheap mod. and simple for anyone to do. If they wanted to buy something I'm sure a $95.00 RADesigns Rail shift controller would be the simplest choice.
Wasn't trying to pick a fight, just saying that it's been done and works.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please explain. I have never heard anyone else complain about his work.
Yes please do, since this thread has been totally highjacked already. I haven't been contacted about this. If the product isn't working then feel free to contact me.
Anyone, I prefer to hear dislikes as well as likes. After reading through the XJ-TOTM on AW4 trans control I was pleased to hear everyone so pleased with my products.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I will chime in here to say that the baja shifter upgrade is like getting suspension seats. How did I ever wheel without these? Mine is awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
How would this be different than just disconnecting power to the TCM? When this happens you essentially achieve a manual valvebody. Selector in 1-2=1, 3=3 D=4. Billavista did a writeup on this ~10 yrs ago when he still had his XJ. I have experienced it by accident on an XJ I bought; mine was the TCM inline fuse not making contact.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How would this be different than just disconnecting power to the TCM? When this happens you essentially achieve a manual valvebody. Selector in 1-2=1, 3=3 D=4. Billavista did a writeup on this ~10 yrs ago when he still had his XJ. I have experienced it by accident on an XJ I bought; mine was the TCM inline fuse not making contact.
When wired correctly you get 1-2=1, 3=2, D=3/4 (switched manually).

·
Registered
6 Posts
When wired correctly you get 1-2=1, 3=2, D=3/4 (switched manually).
Is there a writeup somewhere on how to wire it this way? Also, when set up like this can you still put it in D and have it shift normally by itself or do you have to shift it manually all the time? I didn't make a hillclimb on the first try Saturday because it shifted into second right when I didn't want it to and fell on its face :mad3: I'd love to have full manual selection of gears when I want to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Is there a writeup somewhere on how to wire it this way? Also, when set up like this can you still put it in D and have it shift normally by itself or do you have to shift it manually all the time? I didn't make a hillclimb on the first try Saturday because it shifted into second right when I didn't want it to and fell on its face :mad3: I'd love to have full manual selection of gears when I want to.
PM on your way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts