Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 AX15 5 speed tranny from a rear wheel drive (2x4) and would like to use it to replace my 1992 AX15 4X4, while still keeping the 4x4 transfercase and tailshaft...
Can I bolt these two pieces together? (the 2 pieces being the front half of the 90 rwd AX15 to the tailshaft and transfercase of the 1992 4x4 AX15.
the idea is to solve my 3rd and 4th gear synchro porblems... (previous owner put 90 weight in her and fugered her up. Now grinding into third, and fourth lets you in, but not out).
thanks;
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to do that. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his AX5. Just have them side-by-side when you do it, otherwise the potential for losing little parts is huge.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My understanding is that you will need to swap the output shaft over from the 4wd version because the tailshaft on the 2wd one is different/longer... but, it can be done, and if you have both trannies side-by-side, should be a fairly straightfoward process.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The output shaft on the 2x4 is very different, and that will require changing. I'm going for it today. I'll let you know how it turns out...
:smokin:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we ended up using some parts (synchro and doglegs) from the 2x4 to "rebuild" the 4x4 tranny. Seeing as how you have to remove every single gear and part from the shafts to change them, a MUCH BETTER solution to the problem would have been to just buy the required parts, and repair the tranny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts