Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fluid are you guys runnin? I recently had my tranny rebuilt and the guy put gear lube in it and i think the syncros are going bad. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright cool guys thanks. I put in some 10-40w motor oil and it shifts better but i think the syncros are bad. oh well live and learn

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put 90w gear lube, and fried my sichros fast. Rebuilt it and put 10w30 mobil1 and shifts like butter. I am trying to find the link where jeep crosses over to 10w30 in ax-15's.....good luck,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Manual Transmission - If you have a TJ with either an AX-5 or an AX-15 transmission, do NOT follow the transmission fluid recommendations in the owner's manual. It is a misprint. The factory service manual (FSM) does have the correct information in it. That being said, I use Redline MT-90 or Redline MTL fluid in my AX-15. The GL-3/4 rating of this fluid means it does not have the harmful additives that cause synchronizer wear as experienced when running GL-5 rated fluids. When I switched to MT-90 (shortly after getting the TJ), the cold weather 1st to 2nd gear shift problem that the AX-15 is well noted for became virtually a non-issue. After running MT-90 for several years, I decided to try their MTL fluid. MTL is almost the same except that it is slightly lighter weight. I found that the last little bit of cold weather shifting problem that MT-90 almost cleared up was gone when MTL was used. Redline is a very respected name and I don't think you can go wrong using it. I've never found it in the local AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. type stores. I pick mine up from a performance shop that caters to the speed crowd. You can find it on-line too. I believe Summit Racing carries Redline Oils. It is highly unlikely you will find Redline at the usual auto parts store (AutoZone, Checker, PepBoys, etc).

·
Registered
108 Posts
The AX 4/5/15 from 91-96 use Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 5.

The AX 5/15 from 97-01 use Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 3.

There are some TSB's over the years stating not to use additives or any other viscosity fluid in these transmissions. JE-05B-89, JE-50A-89, JE-27B-90, and 21-03-93.

So it has been more than just us talking about this problem. Looks like for TJ's it is definately a GL3 grade,

·
2,773 Posts
Bringing it back up.

I just drained my ax15 that I swapped in last year. I happily loaded it up at the time with 10-30 motor oil. Since installed it has had a slight 1-2 and 2-3 clash when cold but nothing bad.

Today, 7000 mixed city/highway miles later, oil looked like crap. It had darkened considerably and was very pearly. The magnet was covered and the bottom of the pan after I drained it was covered in small flake.

I filled it with Pennzoil Synchromesh. Hopefully the results will be better. I wont be using 10-30 again.

k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i use automatic transmission fluid. the reason i say that is because 80-90 will not throw oil to the top of your trans. so bearing will not get lubed. but i would recommend i mixture of motor oil and trans fluid

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why do people have such a hard time with just using what the mfg. recommends? Why experiment?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Universal tractor oil 10w-30 (GL-4 grade)
It is cheap, i´m using it in my 231/300 doubler too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts