Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE TOP is just a description of what my tranny was doing before. If you don't feel like reading it, just skip down to below the 1st picture. Thanks.

Lately my tranny has been getting worse and worse. Very hard to get into gear. Will grind going from 2nd to 3rd unless I get the RPMs way up to around 3K and then shift into 3rd. Going from 3rd to 4th I would have to double clutch or else it would grind just about every time.

Then the other day I started it up and noticed a weird noise.

1) The noise is constant sitting there in neutral. Push the clutch in, and the noise totally goes away. Getting under the Jeep, you can hear and feel that the noise/vibration is definitely coming from the transmission.

2) Can move the Jeep up and down my driveway. When I go to move the Jeep in gear, if I push in the clutch and let it roll (without putting it in neutral, just depressing the clutch) it sounds like grinding in both forward and reverse.

3) Front driveshaft is removed. Jacked the rear of the Jeep up into the air, put it in gear and let the tires spin. Give it gas, then push in the clutch and the tires stop spinning very quickly (does not free spin to a gradual stop). This is true both forward and reverse. Can hear what sounds like grinding.

I THOUGHT it might have been just the throw-out bearing. So I put in a new LUK Gold clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I put just the tranny back into the Jeep and started it up to hear if it was still making that awful noise. ----- It was. *sigh*

So I took the tranny back out and split the case open.

The seal on the input shaft bearing was disintegrated (not pictured), which could explain bearing damage.

So, please let me ask for more advice.

Even though it is most likely only the bearing on the input shaft, I would like to replace all 4 bearings (input shaft bearing, output shaft bearing, along with front and rear cluster gear bearings). Also want to do the syncro's since I've gone this far. My shifting became hard grinding into 3rd and 4th constantly unless double clutching.

Should the shift forks be replaced as well?

Never did a tranny rebuild before. Should I just do the input shaft bearing and front cluster gear bearing and quit while I'm ahead or what? Do you think the syncro's must be replaced, or was the grinding due to the bad input shaft bearing?

Can anyone recommend a good quality rebuild kit that has the parts I need? I found this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AX15-MASTR-R...986#vi-content

Sorry to be so noob-ish, but this job intimidates me a little. Thanks for advice.

PS: For whatever reason, my tranny did not have the RETAINING CLIP for the throw-out lever. Know what I mean? I've done other people's clutches before and they had that little clip on the ball side (non-slave side). Where can I buy a new retaining clip?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
He's after this;
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/indytech/2010-06-03_013745_cl.jpg

Its main purpose is so you can keep everything in place while you're connecting the lines. You should be fine without it.

If i were you, I would go ahead and rebuild it unless you have the money to buy something else. Your grinding inbetween gears are you syncro rings, they are going out/shot. You can cure this without replacing them if you feel like double clutching all the time. I had grinding on mine going into reverse and from 2nd to 3rd. If you look at your rings, chance are at least one of them will show some sign wear on it. You can get a master rebuilt kit for under $200, and that should take care of all your problems. You can get your kit off of Ebay, that's where I got mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-AX15-Transmission-Bearing-Overhaul-Rebuild-Kit-/200539204380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb1116b1c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rebuilt mine about 15,000 miles ago, and it was my first one. I used this when rebuilding, it was a life saver.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7057536/Jeep-AX15-Service-Manual-Transmission

Everything is pretty straight forward, just make sure you have all the tools before you get to involved.

As for as your retaining clip. I just found a c-clip that fit and used that.
Thanks mwstudt. Actually I have a FSM with that same exact information. I was just wondering if anyone else has done a write-up with pictures and stuff. But that should suffice.

As far as tools, is there any specialty tools that are required> My buddy has a press in his garage so I'm not worried when it comes time to press on the new bearings.

Thanks jbarr.... I think thats exactly what I'm looking for.

If i were you, I would go ahead and rebuild it unless you have the money to buy something else. Your grinding inbetween gears are you syncro rings, they are going out/shot. You can cure this without replacing them if you feel like double clutching all the time. I had grinding on mine going into reverse and from 2nd to 3rd. If you look at your rings, chance are at least one of them will show some sign wear on it. You can get a master rebuilt kit for under $200, and that should take care of all your problems. You can get your kit off of Ebay, that's where I got mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-AX15-Transmission-Bearing-Overhaul-Rebuild-Kit-/200539204380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eb1116b1c
Thanks again mwstudt. Yeah $200 isn't an issue. What sucks is I just spent $140 for a clutch kit which wasn't necessary overall. (Originally thought it was a bad throw-out bearing, so figured might as well replace the clutch and pressure plate too while I had it out.) I know I can buy a used tranny on Craigslist for around $150 if I am patient, but I'd rather do this rebuild since I never did one before. That way I know the tranny should last for many more years to come.

By the way, I found this rebuild kit on Ebay. Any difference between this one and yours? Quality, etc?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280769284986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll start working on it next weekend.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
I don't think there is a difference, just make sure you get a "master" rebuild kit. Those come with everything you need for the rebuild. I think the only special would be the shop press, get some good lube, some of the new seals are a bitch to get in. Besides that, it's not that hard, should take you the weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
^ Yeah, well my buddy has a press. Two things missing from my garage: A press and a good welder. (Have a crappy Harbor Freight welder but I just use it for sheet metal and exhaust.)

The hardest part to me is always lining up the splines in the tranny when getting it back in to line up with the dowel pins. Its a sonuvabitch when you're under it twisting it by hand. Thats the only part I hate. Everything else is easy, just takes time.

Edit: I was just on another forum and came across this re-build write up. Just passing it along in case somebody else one day has the same question. Its a very good comprehensive write-up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/major-repair-ax-15-rebuild-1032480/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts