Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of a 4.0L/AX15 swap out of 98TJ to put in my 83 CJ7 in place of my 258/T4 combo.

I need an adapter to mate the AX15 to the Dana 300. I found this :http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

As anyone here ever used it ?
It seems it has only one clocked position. Will it fit with a one inch body lift ?

I noticed the AX15 tranny is some 3 inches longer than the T4. I guess I will need to modify my driveshafts.
Wouldn't the rear driveshaft be too short ?
Should I go with a CV U-joint in the rear ?

Thanks a lot, any help is welcome !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going with the AX15 because :
1.It's already bolted to my 4.0L
2. I bought a complete wrecked TJ. so when I'm done parting it out I hope the AX15 would have been free ! (or almost)
3. It has only 15000 miles on it.
4. It is stronger than my T4
5. It has an overdrive than my T4 did not (so I can put 4.56 and still have descent drive on the freeway with my 33')
6. the 4.0 L TDC sensor is already bolted to it
7. Crawling first gear boxes aren't easy to find around here..

I'don't feel to much like fabbing one myself but why not..I guess I need a spacer (0.75') and then I need to drill it...

I have to think about it.....

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Doh!!!! Sorry I didn't see that you were in france.

The dana300 should bolt right up to the AX\15

You might need to redrill the existing adapter though.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
i'm getting ready to make some adapter rings. it is my understanding that you need a 7/8" spacer between the D300 and the AX-15.

there are a couple of other guys on this board that know more about it than i do. i'll try to round them up and have them add the info.

matt

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes, 7/8's is the minimum thickness you want to use for an adaptor ring. When we made mine we did 1" just for clearance insurance but I've since heard of people using 7/8's.

You'll end up cutting one ear off the dana 300 shifter mount if you clock it. No worries though, I did and have had no problems at all in over a year. Yes, the overdrive is sweet when you've spent a few years over revving a 258 at highway speed ;0)

Exaxt makes them here in BC.

Hope it helps
Rob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Olivier,

One thing to note, according to the folks at Novak: the AX-15 is 16.5" long and the T-5 is 15.2" add in a 7/8" adapter and you have a difference of 2.175" (approx 55.2mm).

This means you might need to get a shorter shaft for the rear and a longer one for the front.

Tony W

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.
I ordered the Novak ring yesterday, I'll let you know how it turns out.
About driveshafts : I think I gonna put my front TJ's CV driveshaft in the back of the CJ (once shorthened) and try to find another front XJ or TJ CV front driveshaft to use as a front on my CJ.
Should that work or am I missing something ?

About Dana 300 shifter : will I be able to modify it to work with clocked and farther back Tcase ? What do you guys do about it ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.